Chapter 68 - Operation Purify

Disclaimer: Hey guys! Firestorm40 here with a new chapter for you all. I do not own any of the characters except my own OCs. Fairy Tail belongs to Hiro Mashima.

Special thanks to the reviewers and to the readers who Fav/Alert this story, I really appreciate it. So without further ado, Enjoy!

------------------

Inside the jail cell...

"Undercover mission?" Natsu questioned, prompting Gray to explain himself. Sora put Erza hold speaker so they could all hear her before handing Gray his phone back.

"That's right. There's no way I'd join some creepy guild like this anyway." Gray replied before tilting his head to the side. "We don't have time now, so we'll talk while we move."

"Alright, so what's going on?" Sora asked.

"I found out about Avatar and how it was connect to Zeref half a year back...with some help from Jellal of course." Erza's voice spoke through the phone that ended up being attached to a little pocket on Gray's body. The group managed to grab a couple of transportation creatures and were currently navigating through the forest. "But we hit a dead end and it was then I met Gray."

"Hey, that lacrima's amazing..." Happy commented from where he was perched on Natsu's head, gripping the dragon slayer's hair with his paws so that he didn't fall off during the ride. Lucy and Lucas rode a creature together with Sora, with the former behind him and her arms wrapped around his stomach and the latter was on his head.

"It's a miniature lacrima...I began getting these weird marks on me so I've been going over to Old lady Porlyusica's place..." Gray explained. "And well, it's as you see. I've learned to control it."

"And then we talked about how we were..." Erza's voice carried on the story from her point of view. "Then we came up with this plan..."

"That's understandable." Lucas said with a nod.

"I guess you could call it a request from Erza..." Gray clarified for the rest of the group. "After all, I was interested in the Book of END personally...with my old man's last request being 'destroy it!'..."

"But man, did you even tell Juvia about this?" Natsu frowned at the ice mage with a disapproving glance. "You're such a jerk."

"I'm sure there was a reason for it." Sora chimed in.

"Yes, I told him not to." Erza's voice vouched for him as Gray looked away with an unreadable expression. "It's always better to have less people know about the mission, as it raises the rate of success...and one could never tell...what if she had gotten into trouble over it?"

"So it was for Juvia's sake too..." Happy mused while Natsu was still salty over the entire situation, grumbling a few words under his breath.

"I do feel sorry for Juvia...we didn't think that the mission would drag out this long." Erza stated tartly. "The situation has changed. It was only supposed to be a scouting mission at first...but then came the whole...purification ritual mess.."

"From what we know, Avatar is planning on wiping out an entire town to lure Zeref here." Gray states, getting horrified expressions on his comrades' faces. "Because they, for some reason, seem to think that Zeref appears in places where death is abundant. We've gotta stop that from happening!"

"Well, all you've got to do is crush them! Easy!" Natsu said. "If it were you and Erza, there wouldn't be a problem!"

"It's not that easy." Gray said before elaborating the reason why. "Avatar isn't an organization small enough for us to just 'crush' it. Its size alone is more than we've ever imagined. I've only infiltrated one small part of it but I still haven't gotten anything on the main branch's location, or even the other branches."