Chapter 23: Funny little family

"Daddy!" Verna called, waddling into the study in the middle of a class, her two year old feet tapping over the wood floor.

Charles smiled as he turned his chair to face the tiny voice, just in time to see the toddler take a tumble.

"Awww!" Half the class cooed, staring at the small ginger kitten that was now staring up at the lot of them.

Charles on the other hand was quite surprised and impressed as he carefully wheeled over to the incessant meowing feline to pick her up. "Up we go Verna..." He muttered. "Alright everyone, you're dismissed early, but I want you to read pages 105 through 140 by tomorrow's class, and I want you to pay attention to what's being said so you can tell me what it means."

Excitedly, many of the class left the room, while some of the students paused on their way out to see Verna as she clambered around on Charles' legs, still meowing for help.

It was in a rush that Charles wheeled down to the lab where Symphony was cuddling a little brown haired boy with big blue eyes.

"Symph!" Charles called excitedly, attracting the attention of both Symphony and Hank as they played with the baby boy.

Symphony stood up with a raised eyebrow, her ears perked towards the meowing emanating from Charles' lap, where a small ginger kitten sat, confused and upset.

"She transformed for her first time, and I missed it?!" She quickly protested, motherly instincts kicking in on full, making Charles chuckle.

"She took a tumble and... Well let's just say she landed on her feet." He answered, holding up the kitten carefully. "And she-"

"Wants her mother because she's scared and doesn't understand how she shrunk." Symphony nodded, looking down at the little blue eyed boy in her arms. "Here, I'll trade you. You take Justin... And I'll take Verna." She whispered, carefully putting the boy in Charles' free arm before taking the kitten.

Charles smiled down at the baby he'd just been handed. "Hello there." He whispered.

Hank watched as the two looked after their children and shook his head. "You two certainly have your hands full." He commented, fully unaware that Symphony knew exactly how full her hands would be in the future.

That's exactly why Symphony was smiling at him as she twitched her ears and sat Verna on a chair and mentally guided her daughter's mind to help her change back. "They're worth it Hank." Was all she told him.

Charles on the other hand looked up with a grin. "You're entirely right Symphony." He agreed. "I hope you'll get the chance to experience a family one day, Hank."

Hank gave a small half smile and nodded before turning away. "Somehow I don't think that'll be happening Professor." He answered.

Symphony frowned because she already knew Hank's fate as well. She knew he wouldn't have a family of his own, but she also knew that he had all the family he would ever need right there, at the school.

Charles seemed to know what she was thinking, even though he hadn't read her mind, because he looked at Hank for a moment before looking down at his son and speaking.

"Well no matter what happens Hank, you'll have a family here. You're a part of our family Hank. And that won't change."

Hank quickly turned around in surprise at the Professor's words, and noticed that both Charles and Symphony were smiling up at him, and Verna, who was now back in her human form, was reaching for him.

Unable to resist, Hank picked up the little red head and smiled as well, grateful for such a good family to be a part of, even if he'd unknowingly been a part of it for close to fourteen years.