Chapter 21: Bittersweet Symphony

Charles groaned, feeling a weight on his chest that he didn't remember being there last night.

It had been a couple of weeks since Symphony had caught a cold, and she was over it now... But now Charles had caught it, and so found himself stuck in bed with Symphony.

And that... Was the weight on his chest.

Symphony had gotten cold in the night, and had decided that Charles wouldn't mind waking up with an arctic fox curled up on his chest.

"Could just use a blanket." Charles whispered gently, reaching a hand up to stroke Symphony's fur, smoothing it down from being restless in the night.

Symphony slowly uncurled herself and sleepily laid her head so that she could tiredly blink at Charles, mismatched eyes only half open.

Charles chuckled and scratched her ears, earning a wide but happy yawn as a small pleased rumbling came from Symphony's throat.

Until Charles stopped and turned away to cover a sneeze. "This is one nasty cold..." He groaned, coughing a little. "Symphony, you have my sympathies." He sighed.

Symphony rolled off his chest and transformed into her human form, stretched out beside him, cupping her chin in her hands as she leaned on her elbows. "You did that on purpose didn't you?" She asked, referring to the word play Charles had done.

Charles grinned, and Symphony rolled her eyes with a chuckle. "Knew it." She laughed.

"Come in Hank." Charles called, looking towards the door, which quickly opened to show their blue friend.

"Just coming in to check on the both of you." Hank told them, coming into the room with a needle. "And for a bit more blood from Symphony."

Symphony groaned. "Don't you already have like, three whole quarts of it in the lab?" She asked, curling up against Charles' side in an attempt at hiding.

Charles chuckled and wrapped an arm around her as Hank came closer with his needle. "He used it all." He teased, making Symphony groan more.

"You've taken enough blood in the past few weeks Hank, that I'm surprised there isn't a clone of me walking around the mansion!" Symphony complained, making both men laugh.

"Close your eyes." Hank nodded, reaching the bedside.

Symphony closed her eyes, and held her breath, turning her head away from Hank as she felt the prick of the needle.

"How far along is that serum Hank?" Charles asked.

Hank smiled and finished taking Symphony's blood. "I think I almost have it. Before, it would help her and then leave her powers slightly enhanced, but I think if I can create it so that it's engineered specifically to her genetics, that we can make it work properly." He explained. "You're done Symphony."

Symphony released the breath she was holding, and opened her eyes, finding herself too comfortable, curled up cuddling beside Charles, to move.

"How are you feeling?" Hank asked, looking over at Charles.

Charles simply shrugged with a smile. "Like I have a cold." He answered.

Hank chuckled and shook his head. "That's to be expected. Symphony, I need to know how you feel too." He informed the Professor's wife.

Symphony sighed. "Bored... But otherwise fine." She answered before yawning.

"I think you're a little cuddly too." Charles commented, realizing that she still hadn't moved.

Hank grinned at the two, and carefully reached out to take Symphony's pulse. "Heart rate's normal... Temperature seems fine."

Symphony looked up hopefully, and Hank didn't even have to be a telepath to know what she was thinking.