Chapter 16: Power problems.

Start from the beginning

"When was the last time you were down here?" Logan asked as he, Hank, Charles, and Symphony walked down the corridor towards Cerebro.

"The last time we went looking for students." Hank answered.

Charles piped up now. "A lifetime ago." He added.

Symphony sighed. "Certainly feels that way." She told Logan as they came to a stop in front of the door to Cerebro, and the computer scanned Charles' face.

"Welcome Professor." The computer said as the door opened.

The four of them entered the room beyond, and the doors shut behind them.

Symphony paused a small distance behind the men, feeling like she was going to cry, because she could already see and feel a better change in the future, and she could feel Charles' mind again, as it lightly touched her mind for the first time in months.

I'm sorry. Was all he said, but Symphony knew what it meant.

It meant he was sorry for having been such a pain, and it also meant I love you.

"Raven's wounded. She won't be moving fast." Hank assured Charles as he turned Cerebro on.

Charles slowly picked up the helmet, and blew the dust off of it in memory of having used Cerebro so long ago.

Symphony smiled and stepped forward, a tear streaking down her cheek as she placed her hands on his shoulders. "You can do this Charles." She whispered in his ear.

"These are muscles I haven't stretched in a long time." Charles proclaimed, before putting the helmet on and activating the machine.

Charles sucked in a deep breath as he felt his mind touch all the different people in the world.

It was almost painful, feeling them all in his head again.

Hank and Logan looked at all the different people that were screaming in front of them, and Symphony gripped Charles' shoulder, trying to calm him as he gasped from the effort of reaching out to so many people.

"Charles?" Logan spoke, concerned for his friend.

Charles started to cry out, overwhelmed as so many people went through his mind, causing Cerebro to start sparking, causing him to abort, leaning over from the pain.

"Charles! It's alright!" Hank assured, leaning forward to help Charles.

Symphony bit her lip, leaving her now empty hand on the back of Charles' wheelchair, before reaching forward and placing it on his back, attempting to alleviate some of the pain, by going into his mind with her own.

Guess it's you saving me now, instead of me saving you. Charles communicated teasingly, making Symphony smile, even though he was still in some pain.

"I'll go check the generator." Hank told Charles, slowly leaving as Charles felt the pain start to subside.

Logan watched quietly as Symphony's hand moved back to Charles' shoulder, where Charles gripped it for an instant before hitting Cerebro in frustration.

"It's not the machinery is it?" Logan asked.

Charles shook his head, leaning back a little when he felt something hot drip onto his neck.

Symphony could plainly feel his anger and pain, and with her emotions being a little rawer than usual, it made her cry.

"I can't do this." Charles told them. "My mind..."

"Yes you can." Logan corrected, even though Charles was still shaking his head.

"Mn. It won't take it." Charles tried to explain.