n i n e t e e n

18 is an age i never thought i'd live to see.

of course i never had suicidal tendencies or anything like that, it's just weird to think about. yet i'm the last one in my group of friends to turn 18, whoops.

Jon said he'd skip practice after school today so we could all go out to dinner.

Ryan hadn't been at school the rest of the week because of his concussion. i missed having him here honestly. but i think he's coming to dinner with us tonight.

but Jon had to go take a test after school or something. said he'd be about 30 minutes so i said i'd wait in the library.

Which is where i was now. I was one of the only ones in here. it was quiet.

I was looking through a book titled 'Invisible Monsters' and it was pretty interesting.

I was leaning against the end of a book shelf beginning to read the first chapter of the book.

I'm lost in the book, but i'm interrupted by a familiar voice.

"hey brendon."

it scares me so much, i literally drop the book before i turn around to see the figure.

it was yours truly, Ryan Ross.

"Ryan! don't scare me like that." i laughed wiping my shirt off but then going to hug him. He accepts me embrace and envelopes me in a hug.

he releases me and nods towards the door, "come on, let's go." and starts walking.

"wait, I'm supposed to be waiting for Jon." i stay put.

"Jon texted me asking if i could take you to the restaurant. we're meeting them there. him and Sarah thought you'd like it better if i took you." he gives a charming smile, and i can't help but blush.

"okay." i follow him out.

Ryan looks back at me as we're walking out the front door, "I haven't seen you all week, I missed you."

"ditto." i respond finding his car.

he unlocks it, climbing in the drivers side as i go in the passenger side next to me.

we're driving in silence now, but he breaks it when he asks me a question.

"so why don't you drive?"

"pardon?"

"all your other friends drive and you don't. did you just fail the test or what?"

"i haven't taken the test. i have no interest in driving."

he looks over to me confused, "really?"

i nod my head, "i can't trust myself."

he still has the confused look.

"i can't control myself worth a damn, so why should i let myself control a vehicle, much bigger and deadlier than me, if i can't even control myself." i explain.

ryan gives me a look, "wow.. that's pretty deep brendon."

i laugh, "i'm a deep person."

he looks at me and smiles, "well i'll be happy to drive you around until you're ready."

"maybe once i get my shit together, i'll be ready."

Ryan pulls up to the restaurant, "oh hey, before you get out can i ask you something?" he says holding me back before i can get out of the vehicle.

"yeah go ahead." i sit back in the seat.

"would you let me take you out on a date?"

wait what.