f i v e

Sleep was a rare occurrence for me. But last night was different. Especially because I had someone by my side.

Yet, when I woke up, he was gone.

It was late in the morning that Sunday and I didn't want to do anything. Just lay in bed and do absolutely nothing.

I look over to the side of my bed to my end table to grab my phone, but there's something atop of it.

'Hey! You fell asleep so I didn't know what to do, so text me!
- Ryan'

I examined Ryan's note and saw the string of 10 digits he left right underneath his name.

Holy shit.

You know that feeling when you finally get your crush's number? This was it.

I decided to text him, that is what he wanted right?

'Hey Ryan! It's Brendon. Thanks for leaving your number I guess? Last night was fun! We should do it again some time.'

Send.

That was the least awkward (still very awkward I might add) message I decided to go with. Would he respond? I don't know. At this point, I was just happy.

Happy, happy, happy.

But, that being the highlight of my day, I decided to just chill in my room listening to many of my records and writing some music.

~

The following Monday night, I heard a tapping on my window. I expected it to be Jon since he's always climbing up here. I don't know why. The front door works just fine.

But, to my surprise, it wasn't Jon.

It was, yours truly, Ryan Ross.

I looked at him through the glass and furrowed my eyebrows. Then, realizing I had left him out there, I quickly opened it up and let him through.

"Thanks. It's freezing out there." He giggles letting himself in sliding off his jacket.

I just looked at him. Confused and infatuated. Just a summary on how he makes me feel.

"Oh sorry for just showing up uninvited like that." He chuckles. "My parents were yelling at me once again. I was walking around and remembered you lived here, So I thought I'd stop by. You don't mind, right?"

No Ryan, of course I don't.

"Um n-no. I don't mind..." I stuttered profoundly.

He sat at my desk, while I was on the floor in front of the foot of my bed. We were silent.

"I wanna break up with Helena." he blurted.

Well.

"Um.." I began, but he interrupted.

"Oh, uh sorry." he cleared his throat "I know we don't know each other that well but.. I feel like I can be real with you, y'know? Like I can say my true opinions and you won't judge me or anything." he explained to me. "Or maybe I'm just an open book." He said with a small laugh at the end, maybe trying to lighten the mood.

"Oh. Th-that's fine. A lot of people get that feel from me." I say shyly not knowing how to respond. "Why do you want to break up with her?"

He shrugged. "I mean like I said.. I think she's cheating on me and I just...I just don't really feel like I used to about her." he sighed.