Chapter Thirty Three: Means To An End

Start from the beginning

Speed's words rung true as Delko hung his head. After Marisol had been attacked the rage had lingered, even after the guy had killed himself. It was the reason Delko had become a CSI.

"He deserves worse than that." Delko hissed.

"I just need her to be ok." Tim uttered, rubbing his hands over his face. "But I know Hagen, he wouldn't be able to resist a free pass."

Eric said nothing as he simply stared at his cell phone clutched in his hand.

"Calleigh said she'd call when she had news." Eric murmured."So now we just sit and wait."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The temperature was dropping, there was a distinct chill in the air signaling the end of the day and the beginning of the night. I coughed again, a wet, chest wrenching cough that made my chest rattle and my heart pound.

The pain was getting worse but it was bearable. At least for now.

There was a rustling from outside. The sound of someone moving through tall grass just outside the Crypt. I felt my stomach drop, as a bolt was forced back, creaking with exertion before the door swung open.

A shadow stood in the doorway, tall and lumbering. Wide shoulders like a quarter back and a large body. I struggled to my feet, managing to get into a position on my knees before boosting myself up on the soles of my feet.

"John." I said calmly, facing the man in front of me.

Behind him the door was swinging shut again, banging against the stone. The skyline was turning o dusk and heavy gravestones rutted out of the earth. Like I suspected the grass was long. Old school graveyard, there weren't that many in Miami.

"Kate, we have to leave."

Direct and to the point. His hand was outstretched towards me. His expression one of expectation, He thought he owned me, he thought we were partners in crime. Bonnie and Clyde as it were and I could use that.

It took all my will power to step forward. My eyes swept over John's huge body, taking in his gun nestled into his holster underneath his suit jacket. My arms were still pinned behind my back so there wasn't a chance of trying to get hold of it.

"I missed you." I murmured, it was the only way to keep the real emotions from bubbling over and out of my mouth.

John's fingers caressed my collarbone and glided down my neck to the groove between my breasts. I forced myself not to flinch at the sudden connection, I thought of Tim as I endured it for those long few seconds. John shook his head suddenly, remembering much more important things at stake.

"I'm sorry it took me so long to come back." he said sincerely, using both hands to re-button my linen shirt so I was fully covered.

I drew the line at asking him to fasten the buttons on my jeans. I didn't want him ever straying below the belt.

"That's ok, your back now." I said with a forced smile.

John looked comforted by this and beamed as he held up a small set of handcuff keys.

"Turn around." he told me, miming the notion.

My heart erupted in my chest at the possibility of being free. I complied eagerly. John's large hand fastened on my right wrist tightly as he undid the metal bracelet.

"You know I forgot you had such a hot ass until before." he spoke into my ear.

Bile clawed at my throat. I drew in a deep breath and exhaled through my mouth, fighting to keep calm.

"Put your hands in front of you." he ordered.

I did as I was told. He clipped the metal bracelet back onto my wrist so quickly there hadn't been a chance for me to act. I tested out my maneuverability my rotating my wrists and lifting up my arms under the pretense of stretching. Having my hands cuffed in front of me at least gave me options. I wasn't entirely helpless any more.

"It's just a precaution." John told me, his eyes slinking down to the open button of my jeans and the exposed flesh that resided there.

"I understand." I told him, leaning in closer.

John's hands came to rest on my hips, my face inches apart from his. His eyes were on mine as I pouted.

"Tell me what you need me to do Kate." he panted a little, his fingertip digging into my soft skin.

"I need..." I hesitated, drawing out the anticipation. "I need you to kiss me."

His lips were on mine quicker than I expected. He was dominating and bruising. His tongue thrust into my mouth as I moaned with encouragement. My hands were already slipping inside his suit jacket and wrapping around the grip of his Colt as I flicked the holster open. My body rubbed along John's, his hands were clawing over my breasts now, I pushed my knee between his legs. He thought I was trying to get closer...

I kneed him in the groin with as much force as I could possibly muster. I expected him to hit the deck, instead he sagged against me causing me to teeter off balance for a second. The gun was trapped between us. I caught a glimpse of his face before jerking backwards away from him.

John rose his head, his expression a mask of fury as he lurched towards me. My heart beat wildly in my chest, God only knew what he would do to me. There wasn't even time for a warning.

I focused the gun on him as he was nearly on top of me, and then I pulled the trigger.

The roar of the firearm erupted through the air almost deafening me as the door slammed open and the room exploded. John was already on his back, clutching at the blood sprouting from his chest in surprise. I stared at him, unable to think, feel or move as flashlights blinded me momentarily.

The gun slipped from my fingers, bouncing onto the concrete, as voices assaulted my senses. Strong arms were holding me up as my knees failed me and a warm jacket draped around my shoulders. I didn't realize I was shaking until I looked down at my hands and found myself unable to control the trembling.

My wrists were suddenly free, and large freckled hands took mine gently as Calleigh's arm wrapped around my waist to support me.

"Your ok, Kate."

Horatio's voice flooded my senses and suddenly I wasn't abstract anymore. I was right here in the middle of everything, feeling trapped and riddled with pain.

"I need to go to the hospital." I whispered, meeting his gaze, seeing understanding and kindness.

There was no pity and I was grateful for that. Between Calleigh and Horatio they guided me outside of the Crypt. My cheeks flushed red in humiliation at the sight of so many people outside, people I worked with and they all knew what had been done to me.

Tears were coming now fast and thick, I was absorbing everything as we dodged through tombstones and towards the main gates of the blackened cemetery. All my control was drifting away only to be replaced by horror.

I don't remember getting into the ambulance, I was surprised to find myself wrapped up in a blanket curled in the furthest corner as Calleigh sat next to me talking in low soothing tones. She was trying to convince me to let the paramedics help, it took a while for me to agree, and only with the promise that she stayed and oversaw everything they did.

Calleigh took my hand in hers and uttered the words I needed to hear.

"I'm staying right here with you."

Then with my permission the paramedics began the evaluation.