Chapter Thirty Two: Tales of the Crypt

I cried out with no reply and
I can't feel You by my side
So I'll hold tight to what I know
You're here and I'm never alone.

Barlow Girl – Never Alone

It was dark. The cold bit at my skin as I grunted into whatever my face was buried in. The material was silky across my face, it took my a minute to realize I was lying on my stomach. It took me two to realize that my hands were restrained. The metal dug into my wrists as I twisted and fought the panic raising in my chest.

Handcuffs, without a key there was no way to get out of them.

There was pain all over, it shocked me to the core, causing me to gasp as I manged to roll onto my right side. My mouth was dry, and tasted strange. I ignored it and tried to focus all my body parts in order to gauge the damage. There was sharp pain in my abdomen, making it hard to catch my breath. My arms ached, and there was a stinging sensation on my forehead.

My vision swam for a second as I lay on my side panting. Shortness of breath was never good.

It was lower down that hurt the most. A persist dull ache and a worse unmistakable stickiness around my upper thighs and vagina. I swallowed bile as I realized that the worst was yet to come.

I wasn't wearing panties...

I always wore panties.

The draft from somewhere unknown was lapping at my chest. I clenched my jaw willing myself to look down and confirm what I had all along suspected. The white blouse I was wearing was open, my navy blue satin bra on display. The leather belt, that harnessed a metal Sun shaped belt buckle was missing and the top button of my jeans was popped, exposing my naked flesh. My boots had also been taken.

The acidic taste at the back of my throat tanged across my tongue giving me enough time to clamber on my knees towards a bucket that had been placed beside the sleeping bag. My stomach heaved, I held my body rigid as I threw up, my breath coming in short gasps as I tried to get a grip on myself.

I had been violated, and now I was left helpless and waiting for more.

I forced myself to breath through my nose and exhale through my mouth. Calming breaths, my therapist's voice reminded me. The fear and the panic fought me until I forced my tense muscles to relax.

I needed a cool head to evaluate the situation and then to formulate a plan.

I slumped back onto my ass, making sure the sleeping bag was between me and the floor, my back to the wall. The pain in my abdomen was getting worse and my chest was beginning to burn along the bottom of my rib cage.

Injuries from the crash most likely. The head trauma was probably concussion.

The word sparked off something in my brain, my memory twanged, throwing forward a voice and words to go along with the images.

"You've got an concussion Kate, try to stay awake."

John.

John had taken me from the site of the crash, he had left Autumn to burn to death in the front of the SUV, he had let Jessica take Daniel. My eyes burnt with salty tears as I wondered what had happened to them. Was Daniel gone? Had Autumn and her baby died?

I choked on the sob in my throat. Now wasn't the time to cry, I told myself as the tears trickled down my cheeks. The desperation and helplessness remained heavy on chest. I had to push past it if I wanted to survive. John wouldn't be able to keep my alive, I was dying.

Slowly but surely those internal injuries would get worse and worse and I knew there wasn't a chance in hell he would take me to the hospital. I'd die alone as his plaything.