Chapter Five: Just One Kiss

Seems like yesterday but years have passed us by

Precious memories are clear before my eyes

I can hear your voice calling out my name

But I don't know you now, nothing stays the same

Blessed Union of Souls – All Along

The Trace Lab was silent as I fiddled with the knobs on the microscope, trying to get an accurate view of what made up the mixture of the tiny blob under the slide. It was early, I wasn't even on shift yet but I couldn't sleep. I'd spent most of the night restless and staring at the patterns on the ceiling, which as interesting as that was, did nothing for my looks this morning. I'd spent thirty minutes in the bathroom trying to figure out how to fix the bags under my eyes.

On top of that I was not looking forward to seeing Eric this morning. I knew he was probably feeling the same. So as usual I decided to throw myself into work. If I worked I didn't have to think about the thoughts that were running through my head, I just had to focus on the task at hand and I liked that. Not thinking about how complicated life was steadily becoming, was one of the thing I did best, apparently next to leaving and wrecking other people's lives.

I glanced up hearing the door to the Trace Lab open. Tim stood in the door way frowning at the sight of me as he slipped on his lab coat. I narrowed my eyes and rotated my head back to gaze into the microscope.

"Well you're looking relatively scary today." Tim stated. "What's up? Didn't get enough sleep last night?"

I kept my eyes on the microscope, wiling myself not to roar at him.

"Go away I'm busy." I muttered.

"Someone's not being very nice today." Tim remarked, his footsteps coming closer.

I tore myself away from the microscope to glare at him as he pulled up a stool up next to me and sat himself down on it. His hands gripping the front between his legs as he faced me, rocking back and forth.

"How'd your date go?" he asked as I returned my attention back to the microscope.

"It wasn't a date." I murmured, still trying to get the focus right.

"Ok...how did your none date go?"

I rose my eyes with a small smile, watching him sway on his seat, like an over excited kid. His gorgeous brown eyes were on me wide and interested.

"Do you need me to give you a time out?" I teased, nodding at his over zealous shifting.

Tim tilted his head, his sarcastic smile matching mine.

"Do you need me to put you over my knee and spank you?" he returned, sending a shiver up my spine.

I hesitated for a second before answering.

"No..." I said begrudged.

"I'm guessing it didn't go well considering you're in here an hour before your shift." Tim commented checking his watch.

"Maybe I'm just a very dedicated employee." I retorted.

Tim rolled his eyes before darting a glance towards reception.

"So..." he prompted.

I sighed before returning to the microscope.

"Let's say, I don't think he's talking to me." I spoke quietly, finally getting the focus at the right level.

I drew away from the microscope growling at the substance on the slide. My gaze slide to Tim who was frowning, and looking troubled, arms crossed over his chest.