Chapter Four: What Comes Of Coffee

I love the way she fills her clothes

She looks just like them girls in vogue

I love the way she plays it cool

I think that she is beautiful

She's so lovely

She's so lovely

Scouting For Girls – She's So Lovely

Eric checked his watch for the third time in fifteen minutes. Kate was late. He was pacing up and down the reception area, clad in an expensive white shirt that contrasted against his dark jeans. It was unbuttoned at the top revealing a generous expanse of chest. Eric checked his watch again, glancing up as the lift pinged before it's doors opened.

Eric's face fell as Speed stepped out, gaze shifting up for the report in his hand to the agitated Cuban in front of him. His head tilted taking in the full extend of Delko's attire. He'd known the other man long enough to know his dressing habits, and he definitely wasn't dressed for work.

"You got a hot date tonight or something?" Speed asked, crossing his arms over his chest, his file still clasped in one hand.

A playful grin spread across Eric's face.

"Hotter than what you'll be doing sitting at home alone tonight." Eric teased his friend.

Speed smacked the other man with the file in his hand.

"You're real funny, you know that?" he shot back.

"That's what the ladies tell me." Eric winked.

"This one blind?" Speed smirked.

"She does a mighty fine job if she is." Eric snorted.

"Ok where did you meet this fine specimen of womanhood?" Speed asked with a sarcastic edge to his voice.

He knew what kind of girls Eric picked up and he was not impressed by his friend's taste in women so far. Yet he knew Eric wasn't looking for anything that really extended behind one night.

"Right here. I'm taking Kate out for the night..." Eric informed Speed.

Speed stared at the younger man in utter shock. His eyebrows furrowing together in disbelief.

"Kate? Your taking Kate Callahan out tonight on a date?" Speed questioned, giving Eric the stare he used in the interrogation room.

"It's not really a date... At least it isn't yet but I'm pretty confident I can change her mind." Eric beamed not sensing Speed's discomfort.

Speed pursed his lips, before suddenly making a decision. His eyes were back on his file as he spoke in a low tone for Eric's ears only.

"If you know what's good for you, and if you want to keep even a shred of your heart and a portion of your sanity and dignity, you'd take my advice. Forget about her, move on to someone else. Lots of girls out there that won't fuck with your head. That shit just isn't worth it."

Delko glared at Speed affronted by his words, his hands on his hips as he stepped closer to the other man.

"What the hell are you so bitter about?"

"Trust me on this one don't go there." Speed warned Delko, clenching his jaw tightly.

"Has it ever occurred to you that what happened between you and her was 'cause maybe she just wasn't that into you? Maybe all she needs is the right guy to..."

"Hey, sorry I'm late; I got caught up in DNA." Kate was hurrying towards them.

Her dark hair was loose and free flowing behind her, as she slipped her thin wallet into the back pocket of her skin tight black denim jeans. She was wearing a cream almost transparent chiffon blouse, the neckline came to a halt just past Kate's bra line and was laced together with black ribbon tied in a bow so not to reveal too much skin.