Chapter 30

It wasn't the same without Rae. I walked into the room full of the rest of the Selected and the royal family. I curtsy, trying not to draw attention to myself. One of the girls mutters something to Catastrophe.

I look down and make my way to my seat. I sit down looking at the girls. I could barely even name all of them.

"Attention." The prince says over the small chatter in the room. "Tomorrow evening we will be having a party. It will be at our indoor pool, but there will be paparazzi!" some of the girls gasp and I can see Catastrophe smirk. "We were planning to do this earlier but with the recent events I don't think anyone has been up for a party."

Did he looked at me? I look at my empty plate and start picking off things on the plates in the middle. A few pieces of cinnamon bread, a spoonful of fruit, and just one biscuit.

"Now everyone dig in!"

"So Charlie." I turn to the girl beside of me. Everyone has moved around since so many girls had gone home. She was the one who had whispered to Catastrophe earlier. "What do you think you're going to wear to the pool party?"

"I'm not completely sure yet, but I'm sure my maids will have my back." I try to say in the politest tone.

There it was! Her name was Courtney! I don't believe I have even talked to her before.

"I wish my maids were like that. I've basically had to tell them what to do since the very first day." Catastrophe sighs.

"Mine are perfect. I absolutely love them." I say and take a bite out of my bread.

"Wish I could agree." Courtney sighs. I ignore them the rest of the lunch period. Afterwards Addy ran up to me in the hallway.

"You're going on a date with Alex!" She whisper screams.

"I don't think it's a big deal or anything." I shrug. "Just dinner. He doesn't think I'm eating enough."

"You are getting thin, Char." She sighs. "You are coming to the pool party right?"

"Yeah definitely."

"Okay well you better go get ready for your date." Addy grins. "You have to look... Fabulous!"

"Bye Addy." I turn and walk toward my room.

•••

I waited on my bed alone for a guard to come escort me. At least that's what Alex said would happen. My dress was a soft blue fabric. I had one strap across one of my shoulders and a think belt of diamonds around my waist. The entire dress was a soft white and blue that didn't fluff out from me like the other dresses.

A firm knock came at the door. I look out the mirror as I leave. I had simple makeup with my hair loosely curled and a few pieces tucked back with pins made of diamonds.

Summer runs from my bathroom to the door to answer it.

"Your guard is here to escort You." Summer laughs and opens the door a little wider. Of course it wasn't going to be a guard but instead Alex stood at the doorway with a small bouquet of flowers.

"Thank you Summer." I tell her and take Alex's arm. When the doors shut Alex holds the flowers closer to me.

"These are for you." Alex says. I take them gently in my hand. "You look beautiful today."

"Thanks." I mutter.

"How are you? I've been very worried about you." I didn't know if he meant it but a small part of me prayed he did.

"I'm okay." I say nonchalantly.

"Good." Alex sighs a little. "Well I wasn't really sure where exactly to take you so this was a last minute sort of thing."

"I don't care it's okay." I shrug a little bit.

"Okay so I think we go this way." He says taking me on a different turn you usually take to go to the Great Room.

"I've never been in this part of the castle." I note.

"I don't go here frequently." Alex says eyeing the walls. "Here we go. How this isn't an open place for visitors but my mother gave me permission to come up here."

"Cool." I mutter. He slides open a door that nearly blended in with the wall into a small spiral staircase.

"It gets kind of dark so just hold my hand and follow me." I sigh and take his outreached hand, following him up the stairs. We must've went up st least four sets of stairs before we emerged onto wait— was this the roof?

"Is this the roof?" I ask.

"Yep." Alex replies. There was already a small blanket and basket sitting out. I didn't mind the blanket but instead walked to The edge of the roof.

"I didn't realize you could see so much from here." I gasp a little bit. "I only wish I could actually see my home."

"I know." Alex comes up behind me but he doesn't touch me and I almost thank him for that. I turn around nearly bumping into him and walk past him.

"So what are we eating?"

"I didn't really know exactly what you liked but I got the maids to make one of their best things I'd ever had." Alex says. "I'm not actually sure what it's called though to be honest."

"It's fine." I say and sit in the blanket. I shiver slightly. I wasn't sure what it was from but I've done it for a while now.

"Are you cold?" Alex asks. It was anything but cold outside. It wasn't hot exactly but it was definitely not cold.

"No it's just a thing I do." I shrug sort of embarrassed.

"I'm really worried about you, Charlie. You're acting so different." Alex says.

"I'm getting there just give me space Alex." I say sort of harsh.

"Okay..." he drifts off. "Are you excited for the pool party?"

"I don't know. Rae really wanted to go to the pool." I laugh a little.

"I'm sorry. I regret doing any of that. It wasn't safe for anyone and I feel guilty for it every single day." Alex says. "I want you to know that, because I don't want you to think I'm some sort of stuck up prince."

"I know." I mutter.

"I wanted to have some sort of funeral service for her. Maybe let her parents and family come and the rest of the selected." Alex suggests.

"That seems nice." I nod slowly. "What did you do with her body?"

"We cremated her. I contacted her parents personally and they said that's what she always wanted. Afterwards her family is going to take her urn back to where they live and spread them in the woods."

"That's good." I look down and play with my dress. The fabric was soft and felt like heaven against my skin.

"Yeah. I thought so. Now shall we eat?"

Authors note!

I'm so sorry for long waits on updates and I've tried very hard but last week my cousin was in a four wheeler accident that cost him his life. I've had a hard time with it but writing and getting your guys amazing comments helps me a lot. Thanks for reading!!