Chapter 40

I may have stood there forever but I may have only been there for a minute. Either way I was a mess.

"Charlie it's okay. It's okay. It's okay." He mutters in my ear. "Shhh..." I was crippling like dust in his arms one minute and the next I was standing and pulling away from him.

"It wasn't fair! It shouldn't have happened! She should be here instead of me and you could get married to her!" I scream loud enough for the entire castle to hear it.

"Please calm down. It's okay now. It's all over." Alex says it like a promise.

"But it's not okay!" I move a little farther away from him as he steps closer. I was screaming but it turned to sobs as Alex pulled me to him with his wrapped so tight around me I stopped fighting him.

I stand there sobbing until I sink to the floor and he just follows me.

"It's okay Charlie." Alex says with pain in his voice. "I don't want to see you like this."

He was so sad right now. Is face was stiff. He hugged me the entire time and didn't stop when I stopped crying and exited reality.

What would've happened if I would've fallen down with a bullet instead? That would've been easier. Less people crying over a grave.

"Hey Charlie?" He cuts me out. "I think you need to eat something."

"What time is it?" I ask.

"We have an hour till dinner starts. Your maids will be up soon if you feel like going if not I'll bring it up to you." Alex tells me.

"I'll go. I've missed enough." I say sitting up.

"Let me help you up."

•••

The dress was simple and nothing extravagant. Simple silver straps that fade into black at the bottom. My hair was in a waterfall braid and I barely had any makeup on.

"Thank you ladies." I mutter as I open the door to escort myself to the Great Room, but Alex is there instead.

"Do you mind if I walk you in?"

I shake my head and take his outstretched arm. Luckily my maids hadn't put me in high heels, but my legs are still unsupportive of my walking.

"Are you feeling better?" Alex asks me. I shrug. Was I? I felt empty. "Families were supposed to come in in two weeks. I'm bringing them in this weekend."

I smile. That was great.

"Thank you." I mutter.

"You're welcome." He smiled at me and kissed my forehead. He cared now but would he always? When he no longer had any other girls to go to after he talked to me.

•••

After dinner I went into the Women's Room for tea. A maid came up to me with a cup of tea almost immediately.

"Thank you." I say and take it.

I start to walk where every girl sits.

"Did you know Payton got married! She's engaged! Almost as soon as she got back!" One of the girls shriek.

"He's a Six." Another snorts.

"But he's really pretty." She says in awe.  "He looks kind of familiar."

"You wouldn't know, Pearl. He's just from some small town. Payton is going to turn invisible and I pity her for it." Courtney sighs looking at the newspaper.

"Charlie come over here!" I look back at Addy and the queen sitting in the back.

"Hello Charlie." The queen smiles at me as I sit with them.

"Your highness." I curtsey slightly. 

"And find you and Adeline have become very close in the last few weeks."

"Yes, your highness." I nod nervously.

"Charlie is a lot of fun." Addy says. "She's like the sister I never had."

"I love that you two are getting a long so well. I like how Adeline has more girls in the castle to talk to now a days." The queen takes a sip of her tea.

"I don't really like the other girls. Just Charlie." Addy shrugs.

"Anyway." She changed the subject. "Families are coming this weekend. Are you excited Charlie?"

"Ecstatic."