Chapter 57

I was notified a minute before they came in that my family was here. First, my dad and Louis come in with little Paisley attached to Louis's hand.

The little, long haired girl I saw what seemed like yesterday, now had a stacked hair cut that made her look adorable.

She doesn't say anything, just hugs me and doesn't let me go. My dad hugs us both, timidly. Paisley doesn't talk for a minute.

"She hasn't talked barely at all, since." My father whispers. I look down at her and she just curls up to me. I wasn't in the mood to make her leave. "She couldn't even go to school."

"Hi Louis." I say to her, then pay attention to what my dads said. "We can't force her to do anything. Can you both leave for a minute? I need to talk to her." I make sure Alex says and my father and Louis leave.

"Hey darling." I hold her tight against me and stroke her hair. "I'm sorry I left you, I'm sorry I didn't come back sooner. I'm so sorry."

She just shakes her head and shakes in my arms. She's become a mess. She stops, still shaking and takes my hand in both of hers and runs her finger over my ring.

"It's beautiful, Alex." Her voice was still soft like it had always been, but she sounded weak.

Alex smiles at her. "Thank you."

I look at her for a moment. She was skinnier than I've seen her.

"How much have you eaten today?" I ask her.

She looks at me and shrugs.

"I haven't been hungry for days." She whispers to me. I nod and stroke her hair.

"Dad!" I call hoping he's still outside the door. The door cracks open, telling me I'm right. "I'm going to get someone to help her. Hey Paisley are you gonna be okay if they take you to a bed like this and give you some fluids to make you stronger? They can even move you beside of me later."

"I'm so glad your awake." She says, hugging me again before I help her out of the bed. "Madam Wu!"

The main nurse comes to me and hangs onto the bottom of my bed.

"Run checks on her and give her something to help her become stronger. Let her eat by mouth if she will." I tell her. Madam Wu nods and takes Paisley by the hand behind a curtain. My father and Louis go with her.

"She didn't look okay, Alex. It's my fault she didn't look okay." I whisper. "She was so sad for an entire year and it's my fault."

"You couldn't help it, love." Alex says to me. "Lay down a little. You're not supposed to sit up yet." I let him adjust my pillows and lay on my side. I feel his hand find mine and I never wanted to lose it again.

"Who's next?" I ask.

"Send whoever is coming in next!" Alex yells to the door. It worked because Henry and Tayloe both came in.

I was never close with Henry, but he was so solemn and serious and was always so smart for an Eight you had to respect him.

"Hi Henry." I say as he hugs me.

"Hope you're doing better." Henry tells me.

"I am. Thanks." I smile at him. He leaves after a the short conversation. "Hey Tayloe."

"I told them you'd wake up." She smiles at me. "And I'm glad you did."

"Yeah. Thanks Tayloe." I smile at her.

"I'll let your brother come in now, I don't want to keep him out." Tayloe says. Her eyes were glittery as she walked out, following her brother.

"Are you ready for Jason and Payton?" Alex asks me.

"Yeah." I breathe out. I didn't think I was nervous. Maybe it was seeing Jason after being engaged. The first person who walks through the door has the same beautiful blond hair as always, only longer, and looks tired. Maybe it was her swollen stomach.

I couldn't help but hide inside my own hands. I look up about to cry of joy. Jason looked like he was about to too. I think he would've sprinted straight to me if it weren't for Payton's need of assistance.

"They said only two people should go in at once." Payton tells me and sits at the bottom of my bed. "I guess that didn't count baby Raelle."

I push myself up into a sitting position m, obviously against Alex's will.

"What's her name?" I ask choking on my words.

"Raelle. We named her Rae." I look at her in surprise.

I turn to Jason, who doesn't look like he can speak. He sits besides me on the bed and I wrap my arms around his neck.

"I'm so happy for you." I whisper. He doesn't say anything. I think he would've thanked me if he could've. He just puts both his arms tight around my torso pulling me as close to him as possible. "I'm sorry."

"Don't be. You're back now that's what's important." He tells me.

"So it's a girl?" I ask. Jason nods and pulls back. I smile at Payton's stomach.

"Very, very, very aggressive. Here, look, put your hand right here." Payton reaches for my hand and puts it over her stomach. I feel something scary. It was like someone had just pushed my hand.

"What is that?" I ask, my eyes wide.

"It's the baby. She's kicking." Payton whispers. My eyes soften around the spot where my hand rests. I smile a little.

And here, in confusion, in sadness, was a new life.