Distractions

Chapter 23

Distractions

Freezing cold. It was positively freezing! Most of the students in the group headed north had all traveled together up till now. Some would break off and head west to the Shire, others may continue north for Rivendell. My own group had many leagues to go east, into Mirkwood. We hadn't even crossed the Misty Mountains yet.

I flopped down near the large fire the staff had constructed. Most of the teachers remained at the school to teach students that didn't pass the exams. A few tutors and local inhabitants left Meta for a bit to guide groups of students to and from their designated areas.

It was quite efficient really, they just picked a bloody cold time to do it!

I rubbed my dry palms together, and checked the latch on my necklace; making sure the stone was still secure.

"Vanàeze! Mutton soup! C'm here!" Estelriel called over to me as I pulled myself up from the cold ground.

"Thanks." I nodded appreciatively, cradling a bowl of soup.

We had set up hide tents, they weren't much but they kept all the students protected from the wind and weather. Staff rotated keeping watch through the nights that we had to stop.

I sat inside our tent with my other roommates, Agarwaen and Estelriel would be leaving us tomorrow.

I took a sip of soup, steaming hot and tasting of garlic and veggies, (in the most pleasant way, mind you.)

"One last girl talk?" I asked smiling, remembering the first time we'd all met.

"Why not?" Estelriel giggled as we all settled into the tent, stretching blankets over our shoulders.

"Here's my question, what will you all miss most from the school?" Azelótë asked us.

"Meridoc Brandybuck...and our time spent together as roomie." Estelriel said, flushing.

"The food." Agarwaen said, simply but comically.

"Me too! The food and, well, Kili of course. What about you Vanà?" Azelótë asked me somewhat solemnly.

She didn't know about Legolas or the stone, but she had seen through my facade. She never questioned it, instead she'd rather comfort with helpful gestures or silence when I needed. She was a true friend.

I met her gaze for a moment.

What would I miss most from the school? My studies, my friendship, all the reading rooms in the library and our dorm that had become home. I'd miss growing and learning at that school, but I knew this upcoming experience would be something wonderful as well.

"Legolas, of course." I smiled, finally replying.

We continued our talk far into the night, laughing and enjoying each other's company. After the others began to fall asleep, I rose to take my empty soup bowl back out to the camp fire. Lindir, the elf from Rivendell, stood watch over the now smouldering fire. He would be leading the students to Rivendell tomorrow.

"Mān du, Lindir." I greeted him.
(good evening, Lindir.)

"Auta I lómë." He remarked.
(passing is the night.)

Elves always seemed to speak in riddles, one way or another.

I simply smiled, "Aurë entuluva."
(Day shall come again.)

The shuffling of a tent flap caught my attention. Agarwaen appeared in the early morning darkness.

"Greetings." I murmured.