The Glittering Caves

Chapter 11

The Glittering Caves

So, the days went by. Late summer melted into early autumn. My dream stayed with me, but never made any sense...leastways that I could gather. I had passed my weaponry and creature assignments. But for some reason, I decided to keep my purple dragon book and stone; at least until the end of the year.

Elrond's class was becoming slightly more difficult, while Thorin himself seemed to relish in making things difficult...just for me.

He always called on me, always gave me the toughest assignments, and always let me know my work was never quite good enough. I honestly found his brooding nature to be more of a reason to prove him wrong; what could I say? I liked a challenge.

It hadn't been a day before the news that Legolas and I were "official", spread throughout the school and quite a few of his most devoted fangirls decided to make an enemy of me.

It didn't matter, I had made some true friends already and could put up with the fangirl pettiness just fine. In regards to Legolas; I could already tell I was  falling for him.

He was so chivalrous. Every day after school we would meet, usually in the Gardens and just talk. He told me stories; of his home Mirkwood. He loved those halls, that much was obvious. He wanted to take me there someday, he wanted me to meet his father.

On this particular sunny autumn weekend, Legolas decided that we needed a picnic; something I had never done before. He wanted to take me on a "date" like he had heard students talk about from Earth.

He wouldn't let me plan anything or even tell me where we were going. He said a beautiful lady like myself deserved a pleasant surprise (and he was determined to be successful.)

We went to the stables and he tacked up a sorrel gelding named Windfola. He gave me a hand up onto the saddle and I sat behind him. I wore breeches for riding, and also a cloak that draped across the horse's soft back and mine. Soon enough, we were racing through green pastures beside the tall blue grey mountains. I hung onto Legolas, not for balance but for comfort.

I took a deep breath; of the wind around me, and of him. I laughed suddenly. I couldn't believe this! Legolas looked back and winked at me.

We must have looked cliche and silly; riding our horse into a mystical forest just smiling and cherishing our time together. We were a fairy tale, and as cheesy as it sounds, Legolas was literally a prince after all.

We slowed to a stop, and after dismounting he had me close my eyes.

"Truly, you will love where we're going, but I know I will love the surprise on your face even more, so don't look."

He convinced me, and for his sake I wouldn't.

He stood behind me, supporting my unsure steps with his hand across my waist.

He held my hand, "Almost there."

He whispered excitedly.

I giggled, this was our first actual date away from the academy.

Legolas didn't quite understand what "dating" was, he just called it courtship.

But hey, I'm not complaining! I don't care what you call it; he makes me feel so happy, safe and alive. Spending time with him was becoming as natural as breathing.

"Okay, open your eyes!" He said with a smile.

I opened my eyes and gasped.

Never had I seen anything like this before! Not in the movies, or book illustrations or fanart.

Before me, laid a meadow, and though it was midday, the light coming through the trees and water glistened like twilight. A small brook led out of a glittering cave to my right. The water, it looked so mystic, like little jewels had been woven throughout the dark blue channels....

Peering closer at the stream, I was astounded to realize there were jewels in the water! I followed the crystal ripples to the mouth of the cave.

"Legolas! Have you seen this?" He smiled, still holding our picnic basket.

"The Glittering Caves." He remarked, admiring my joyful expression.

These caves were sacred, I knew that much. Filled with precious gems and metals, they really did sparkle. Few knew where these caves were, I couldn't believe I was standing at the entrance of one. Legolas walked forward, happy with my reaction.

"Well, come on." He chuckled, taking my hand.

"Is it okay?" I asked timidly.

He walked us forward into the cave, his eyes reflecting the crystal's sheen.

"Gimli's clan lays claim to this place, we would be honored guests." We walked deeper into the cave, leaving the misty blue forest behind us.

After walking for a while, the sound of rushing water and a dim light came from up ahead.

As we got closer, I realized the sound came from a waterfall curtain covering another passage of the cave. A new brilliant yellow light seeped through the waterfall, resting on the rocky cave surface.

Legolas set up our food and blanket. We laid out salad, meats and eggs with a buckle berry pie for dessert.

We sat, listening to the water crashing down into a silver pool, while munching on our food. I was so unbelievably happy.

I leaned over onto Legolas's shoulder and happily sighed, "Thank you."

He nodded, looking down at me.

He softly took my hand in his, rubbing the pads of his fingers over my palms. We talked for a while, about different things here and there.

I told him about more about Earth, it's creatures and different continents ; he told me of ancient myths and the creatures he loved to teach about. His favorite; dragons. He had a fascination with the purple fire breather, (the same dragon my assignment was based off of) and knew many legends surrounding the beast.

There was a song, he told me, that told of a time when dragons would live again. Even more interesting was the fact that this would only come to pass by way of a mortal.

There was great misery and danger concerning this legend, few knew why. Only the great wizards and rulers truly know what the myth means. I was so impressed with Legolas's knowledge...it made me wish I could always be an elf, to learn so much and be so wise, it must be extraordinary.

I flinched slightly when I felt Legolas's cool hand delicately touch my cheek.

"Milady" he stated endearingly.

I chuckled, "My lord?"

I glanced at the fading light coming from behind the waterfall; the sun must be setting. There, in that one moment, gold light radiated through the falling water, creating ripples of pink and orange reflecting off hundreds of crystals. The same moment that happened, something else caught me by surprise.

With one arm across my back, and the other hand underneath my chin, Legolas turned my head towards his; and we kissed.

Even with my eyes closed I could sense flashes of sunlight fading into a glorious sunset. Our lips connected with a tender sweetness, icy to the touch. I tilted my head, kissing him deeper and wrapping an arm around his shoulder. He smiled into the kiss, running his gentle hand from my chin to my colar bone. The moment was brief, but one I knew I would always treasure.

I was as giddy as a hobbit smoking pipe weed!

We both smiled, breaking away.

He looked at me once more and said, "Vanaéze, my beautiful sea-light."

I'm pretty sure my heart melted right then, right along with the fading summer season.

~~~

Awe! Their first kiss! It was a sappy chapter, I know. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the story so far, do you like it? Is it too cliché? Should I add more romance?