Chapter 39

The last few days had been a blur, since I got the gifts from Joe all I had been doing was going through the box and the book to see if I could find any clues of where he was. But today was not the time for all that. Today I was getting my medal of valor, In front of the whole town. I was proud of myself and I was very proud of Michael. This was one of the things we had talked about doing together and it was finally happening. I had spoken to Johnny earlier telling him I was going to send him pictures as he couldn't be there.

I looked at myself in the mirror and I looked good in my uniform. The pants were tighter though maybe because I had been at home sleeping and eating most of the time. But I was now ready to get back on the wagon.

Michael texted me and told me he was waiting for me outside.

"You looking good partner," I said to him as I got inside the car.

"As do you my lady,"

"No you are supposed to say as do you partner. I'm back hello?"

He laughed and then we made our way to the department.

Cap was looking rather fancy in his white ensemble and with aunt Shelley next to him, he looked even great.

"Look at you Cap, who knew you could actually look this great," Michael said teasing him.

"This thing is really uncomfortable," he said pulling on his collar.

"Well still you guys look amazing." I commented

We spoke for a little while longer while waiting for the ceremony. They also commented on how I had gained weight, and that I should start getting into shape since I was coming back to work. I also couldn't contain my excitement.

"I am sooo excited," I said doing a few claps. "This is such an honor, I have been waiting for this day since I joined the police force and now finally it is happening.

Michael smiled and then nodded.

"I am so proud of you Michael, of us. We have come so far as partners and as friends. Thank you for always supporting me and being there for me even during our ups and downs."

"Anytime," was all he said.

We made our way to the ceremony and our sits were allocated. Everything looked nice. The ceremony started and speeches were done including by Cap. I had never heard him speak calmly and with such words of wisdom. He told us that he was very proud of us and he even wiped a tear or two when he spoke about the hardships we had gone through.

Besides us there were 3 more officers from other departments and they were the first ones to receive their medals. The looks on their faces and their bravery was something I admired and cherished. When my name was called up, they said a lot of stuff but what really caught my attention was when they said 'For demonstrating extraordinary courage to save lives and the wealth of our country. To rid this nation from one of the most notorious criminals.'

My heart started to pound as I walked to the stage and he put the medal around me. I had to hold back tears. Everyone was clapping and cheering, Cap and Shelley had proud looks on their faces. I stood back as they called the last person who was Michael. I couldn't help but cheer for him, my partner we had achieved this together. Before they could give him his medal he whispered something into the guy's ear and then handed him something. He read it and the auditorium was silent, he looked at Michael for confirmation and he nodded then he took back his microphone.

"Ladies and gentleman, a matter has just been brought to my attention and it is with a sore heart I ask we strip Miss Tembi Duval of all her medals she has acquired. I just been informed that all the information acquired by Miss Duval which led to some arrests were acquired illegally. One of the notorious crime lords from long ago Johnny Baxter is Miss Duval's father and he has been giving her information on the cases that she has solved in exchange that she keeps him from being arrested."

"What?" I said confused. I started gasping for air and when he came to remove all my previous and present medals I started filling the room spin. Everyone was looking at me in awe and I looked at Michael who had an expressionless look on his face.

"We know that it was hard for Michael to turn in his partner but we are grateful that he has helped us heed this type of corruption in our workforce. Thank you sir, and may you keep protecting this city and this country."

I couldn't take it anymore, I tried to walk off the stage but it was too much for me. My eyes couldn't see properly and everything was blurry. Tears were coming down my face and I just fell and was unconscious.

When I woke up, I had a towel over my head and auntie Shelley was sitting by me while Cap was on his desk. I was lying on the couch in his office.

"Please tell me it was a bad dream," I said starting to sob.

"I can't believe Michael did that!" Cap said banging on the desk. "I am going to kill him I swear to you. He should have spoken to us about this not embarrass us like that."

"Percy come down," Shelley said.

"I need to go," I said attempting to get up.

"No, you are not going anywhere."

"Okay I stay here and then what Cap? I am not going to jeopardize this department." I stood up then took off my badge and my gun then put it on Cap's desk. "I am done."

"Tembi.."

"No Cap, I made my bed right, now I must lie in it. I can't stay here and work with Michael, seeing him every day? I won't torture myself."

I was about to walk out when I bumped into Michael.

"Tembi, look I didn't do this to hurt you, it was the right thing to do, for you, for us." I didn't want to say anything so I pushed right through him and then he grabbed my arm. "Tembi, I did the right thing okay, I love you and I had to save you from all of this."

I punched him so hard he went falling to the wall. "Love Michael? you did this out love? You embarrassed me in front of all those people and made it seem like I never knew how to do my job and you are telling me that you did it because you love me? You know what Michael, thank you.. for showing me who you really are, I hate you and congratulations you can now have any other partner you want because I am done with you and with this place.":

I walked out and I could hear Cap shouting at him. I took a cab and went straight home. All I needed at that moment was Joe, but he also wasn't here I was alone. I cried the whole day till no more tears could come out of my eyes. I had many missed calls and messages but I wasn't in the mood to talk to anyone. I was really angry at Michael but mostly hurt, I had trusted him and he betrayed me. I started packing all of his things in a box as well as my things. I was moving out and away from this place. It was coming out again, that nauseous feeling. I ran to the bathroom and then started vomiting, It hurt so bad physically and emotionally.

My phone started ringing and it was Johnny, "Hey open the door. I heard what happened and I am here for you. I really am sorry my baby."

I opened the door for him and then ran into his arms. "If I hadn't been this person, if I hadn't come back in your life this wouldn't have happened, I am really sorry."

"No, this is Michael's fault. He did this to me not you."

"Move in with me..."

"What?"

"Yes move in with me, no one will bother you and you can have time to recuperate.

I needed to be away before people started to bother me, I just needed to disappear, I mean I had nothing to lose and my dad was going to take care of me."

"Okay, help me pack," I said standing up.

"Really?" Johnny's face lit up.

"Yes, I will let cap know once I am out of this place but I need to get out of here tonight."

I managed to get everything packed and everything else was going to be put in storage the next day. My new life was about to start.