Chapter 28

"Say something please, uncle Percy."

This was one of those rare times I called him that, and he knew it meant I desperately needed his help.

"Does Michael know about this?" he asked me fiddling with his pen.

"No he doesn't, and please I would like to keep it that way." I answered desperation oozing from my eyes.

"Okay, let me get this straight.. the guy you have been seeing has been working for Mr. Big all this time. Tembi why are you only telling me this now. You should have come to me as soon as you found out."

"I know cap, I know." I stood up and started pacing around in his office. "I wanted to, but I wasn't sure if you would listen to or like my suggestion."

He stopped playing with his pen and then leaned closer to his desk. "What suggestion is that?"

"Well, Joe is a really good guy, he got mixed up with the wrong crowd before he knew any better and.. well I know he wants to reform. So maybe we can work with him and he can help us get Mr. Big but.."

"..but what Tembi."

"We can offer him a deal, and he won't have to do a long sentence."

"No, you know we can't do that, and with the FBI being in the centre of this investigation they will never allow that."

"We won't have to tell them, all we have to do is make some kind of deal with him then he can lead us to Mr. Big and we will capture them. We will inform the FBI about the plan when it's in motion and nothing about Joe."

"Okay, okay you are clearly not thinking straight. This is not a movie it doesn't work like that. Being a good guy doesn't make up for everything else he has done, which you clearly don't even know. Are you willing to let him go free even if you have to find out he has murdered?"

I sighed, I knew cap was right, but I knew how it felt. Wanting to be good so badly but being around negative people. I wanted to be the one to see the good in Joe even and I believed he would change.

"Please uncle Percy, you know I used to be like Joe once in my life, and you saw that I had potential to become a good person."

"Yeah but the situation was different with you Tembi, you were forced into all that, but with him who is to say he didn't do it willingly."

"Captain I know," that feeling was washing over me again and I couldn't hold back the tears anymore. "I know it sounds stupid, I sound stupid, but please trust me. The important thing right now is close Mr. Big's operation and get him locked up for good right? But we can still save Joe, you can break the rule one more time like you did for me.. please uncle Percy please."

He looked at me, I could tell he wasn't going to agree but when he said okay, I literally jumped into him and gave him a hug.

"Don't screw this up, keep me in the loop and if anything and I mean anything goes wrong it will all be on you."

"I won't disappoint you, I promise. One more thing, please don't tell Michael about any of this. I don't really want any of his judgment right now."

"Tell Michael what?" a familiar voice said behind me.

"Oh hi, agent Brian. Good to see you it's been long." I said shaking his hand."

"Well yeah, you have been too preoccupied with this case to notice little old me, I'm glad to see you. How is everything, and the case? Lately Michael has been updating us you are nowhere to be seen."

"Everything is good, um I hadn't been feeling like people and Michael didn't mind so yeah. Anyway I have to go, things to do, bad guys to do.. I mean catch bad guys to catch." I quickly walked out before he could say anything.

                                                                         ~~~~~~~~~~~

I got home just before Michael came and made dinner for him. I was going to tell him that I was back together with Joe, but I also needed him to understand me because I needed him for my plan.

I heard the car pull up shortly after I was done with dinner.

"Tembi?" he called as he came in. "Goodness it smells good in here," he said as he came in the kitchen.

"Hey Michael," I said giving him a hug. "I hope you are hungry because I made your favorite."

"Of course I am. I missed you," he said leaning towards me to give me a kiss.

I pushed his face away, "dinner first. You guys must have had fun, I tried calling you, but your phone went to voicemail."

"Oh yes, my battery died and I forgot my charger. You see this is why I always trust you to pack everything for me."

"I see, well I really needed you last night Michael, but it doesn't matter right. As long as you enjoyed yourself."

"C'mon don't do that Tembi, I kept thinking of you the whole time."

"Oh the whole time you were screwing Mia?"

He went quiet. "Anyway let's eat, I have something to ask you."

"This tastes amazing,"

"Thanks, um Michael I told you I was going to see Joe yesterday right?"

"Yes, how did that go?"

"Well we spoke about a lot of things,... including us. The reason we broke up was because Joe got mixed with some people and he ended up involving me. He needs my help and I need yours. So in that light we are kind of back together."

"So is that the reason why you made this dinner for me, to swiftly tell me that you are back together with him."

"No, not at all. Look, I don't want to fight with you. It's just that there is a lot that's going on right now and I need to make some things right. I need you now more than ever and I need to know you have my back."

"What things? now you are just saying a whole lot of gibberish. What is going on Tembi? And what do you mean he involved you? "

"I can't say anything yet but please trust me." I said as I was holding his hand. He briefly looked at me and then sighed.

"I trust you, and I have your back."

"Thank you Michael." I was shocked on how he had just agreed to this but this was no time to question him.

"I am only doing this because I love you Tembi, not because of Joe. This better be worth it though."

"It will be, I promise."