Chapter 12 A Family Dinner and A Box of Memories

Start from the beginning

 “We have an announcement to make.” Aunt Lily said. We looked at her in anticipation.

“You’re pregnant?” Seth asked and stopped chewing.

Aunt Lily chuckled. “No, we are not and we are too old for that, Seth.” She said waving a hand.” We will be having our anniversary dinner on Sunday.”

Uncle Aidan is smiling. “Lily and I have been together for 14 good years. We will be hosting a dinner here after the polo match this weekend. We have invited friends and family. Dianne and the kids will be here.”

He turned to me. “You should meet Olivia and Martin, Dianne’s children” I nodded.

My parents passed a few days after we attended Dianne’s wedding. I feel like crying at the memory but I do not feel like crying in front of everyone. In fact, I should be touched that Dianne, Dylan and Derek’s older sister, chose to name her children after my parents. I felt Dylan squeeze my hand under the table. I did not let go.

Seth was looking at us teasingly. “What?” I mouthed. He just smirked and made a face.

After dinner, Aunt Lily invited me upstairs to check some outfits I could wear to the White Luncheon tomorrow. The men proceeded to the game room to play pool. I passed by Seth who whispered, “I know what you did this summer.” He wagged an eyebrow.

 “What are you talking about?” I asked, laughing.

“Ooh, holding hands under the table.” He teased, rubbing his hands together. I rolled my eyes. How did he even know that?, I thought. I noticed Dylan creeping behind Seth and slapped him at the back of the head.

“Oww, O’Connor. You will seriously give me brain injury for that.” Seth complained, rubbing his nape.

“Stop teasing, Cate.” Dylan said. “She is already overwhelmed with my good looks. She might get funny ideas with your teasing.”

It was my turn to slap Dylan’s head.

 “Conceited.” I said and ran away laughing before he could catch me.

“I’ll get you for that.” Dylan shouted, rubbing the back of his head. By then, I was already at the top of the stairs.

~*~

Aunt Lily ushered me into a large room on the other end of the house, the room facing the gardens. I remember this as the room my parents use whenever we stay here. “This room has never been used again.” I heard Aunt Lily say.

She turned the room into a storage room for my family’s belongings. When Ian and I moved to France, Aunt Lily disposed some possessions with our permission. She mostly kept my mother’s jewelries and vintage clothes in this room.

Everything is organized. Our family photo is still framed and displayed in the room. They have removed the huge bed. In its place are racks of covered clothes and properly labeled boxes.

“You can choose to wear something in white from your mom’s clothes. They are all clean and well maintained.” She gestured towards the rack of clothes.

I browsed thru the clothes and found a full length Grecian inspired white dress. It has a deep V neckline and cinched at the waist with a silvery band detail. The material is very light and fluid.

“Try it on.” Aunt Lily suggested. I put on the dress and it looked like it was tailor made for me. The fit and the length are perfect.

“You look like your mother. I miss her.” Aunt Lily said, tears welling up. She turned towards a wardrobe and took out some silver bangles and put them on me. Then, she pulled my hair up into a bun letting some loose curls fall back to frame my face.