Chapter 15 ~ Back on Track

Samantha appears in the hallway as we are cleaning up the apartment. Mahogany and Vendetta are moving all of the furniture back into place, along with picking up some pillows and blankets. Mike is scrubbing all the blood off of everything, and putting the knives away. Jeremy is cleaning up the broken pot on the ground after fixing the blinds. I decided I was going to be helping with the furniture.

"Vincent is all done, he's sleeping but he's okay," Samantha interrupts our cleaning. We all look at her, "What needs to be done? I can help with anything."

"I think Mike is having a hard time getting the blood off of the walls, do you think you might be able to help with that?" Vendetta says. Samantha glances over to where Mike stands. She nods and rushes over to the wall. I put down the pillow I was holding onto the couch, I quietly slip away and rush into the guest bedroom. I open the door and enter into the bedroom, the only light that illuminated the room is the bed side table lamp.

Vincent is sleeping peacefully, blankets cover his chest. Samantha had packed up her tools and left the box on the bed side table. I sit down in the chair I had pulled up next to the bed. Some part of me felt like this was all my fault, if I didn't leave Vincent, maybe he wouldn't be hurt. I close my eyes and tilt my head up, trying to refrain from crying. I bring my knees up to my chest and I lay my head back.

"I'm sorry," I whisper. Vincent didn't even stir. I sigh and stare at him. "I won't ever do it again," I added. Even though I knew talking right now was just the same as talking to a brick wall. I look out the window waiting for something, anything to happen. The Eiffel Tower stands high against the late afternoon sky. Clouds semi covered the sky, blocking out the sun in some places. The plants outside sway, giving the hint that there was a little breeze today. If Vincent wasn't hurt, I am sure we would all be outside enjoying some fresh air.

Mahogany steps through the door, I jump, a little startled by her sudden appearance in the room. She walks over and takes a seat on the floor, directly in front of me.

"It'll be alright, try not to worry too much. Vincent is tough, he will get over all this," Mahogany whispers.

"But it's my fault, if I had just stayed with him then maybe we wouldn't have to be dealing with all this trouble," I reply. Mahogany shakes her head and lays her hand on my shoulder.

"Honey, I know you may not be completely used to this, but the things Vincent does aren't your fault. It may seem like we could have avoided this mess, but he goes through little phases, this was just one of them. I promise, none of this is your fault." Mahogany gives me a warm smile. I nod and give a weak smile back. Mahogany stands up, "I am going to go help them get the last of the cleaning done, I'll let Samantha know you're in here," Mahogany walks over to the door and quietly recedes into the hallway. I glance back over at Vincent, his hand had fell off the bed.

I crawl out of the chair and onto the floor next to Vincent. I take his hand into mine, I hold it close to me, his fingers brushing against my cheek. My breathing hitches and I hunch over. That's when I feel Vincent's fingers curl around mine very faintly. I shoot up and see Vincent's eyes were barely open.

"Vincent I'm sorry," I whimper. His eyes travel over to me, I smile faintly. Vincent's eyes close again, my heart drops. Did he hear me? It doesn't matter, because a smile tugs at the edges of Vincent's lips. I laugh slightly and squeeze his hand.

"It's fine," Vincent whispers so quietly it is almost inaudible. I shake my head, my smile reaching father up my face. Vincent's eyes flutter open again, this time I could see all of his iris. Tears roll down my face without me noticing. I hug Vincent's arm and cry. "Love, please don't cry."

"I was so worried about you, I should have stayed with you," I sob.

"You're with me now aren't you?" Vincent raises an eyebrow. I swallow more cries and manage to nod. "That makes up for it," he smiles. I shake my head, my smile coming and going.

"I still should have been there for you," I proclaim.

"Then let's forget about this incident and next time we will know what to do," Vincent sighs. I bring my hand over to his face and lightly run my fingers along his jaw.

"Sounds like a good plan," I ponder aloud. Vincent tilts his head over to my hand. Suddenly, Samantha steps into the room.

"Oh, has he been awake long?" Samantha asks. I shake my head no and glance at Vincent, "Alright lets make sure your bandages are doing okay," Samantha says softly. Vincent closes his eyes and relaxes. I sit back down into my chair and watch Samantha lift up the covers. About half of Vincent's torso was covered in thick white bandages. I began to stare at the bandages, the image of Vincent's beating heart was dancing through my mind. I shiver and look away, I take a deep breath and return to watching Samantha. "We will give it a couple more hours before we change the bandages," Samantha announces, breaking the silence.

"When will he be all better," I find the words escaping my mouth without thinking twice. Samantha laughs a little, amusement written on her face.

"Don't worry to much," she starts, "he'll be able to get up in about a week or two."

"I want to go back to our room," Vincent's cockiness returns with every sentence he says.

"That can be arranged, but you'll need to be here for at least a couple of days before you can even think of moving," Samantha begins to inch towards the door. Vincent sighs and frowns, "Vincent, if you want to get out of bed sooner, you'll take my advice," and with that Samantha leaves with the click of the door.

"I'm sorry" I shrug. Vincent smiles.

"You know what, you're the highlight of my low life," he whispers.