Chapter One

• Dedicated to Maggie

Song for this chapter is 'Always' by Panic! At The Disco, provided on the side. Enjoy~

-

Baroness Angelina Barnett-Dalles, more commonly known as Madam Red, never got over the devastation of the loss of her first child. Knowing that she couldn't bear another child haunted her even more. Finally, unable to face living alone for much longer, the Baroness visited a local orphanage and adopted a young girl who resembled her, named Grell. Grell was clumsy, dramatic, and hopelessly romantic, and not much had changed since that time. Angelina had done her best to try and transform Grell into the perfect daughter she always wished to have, with no avail. Madam Red knew her daughter was beyond hope, but she still had to try.

-

Madam Red scoffed, her red hair whipping against her chin as she spun her head to face out the window or the carriage. Her dark crimson eyes supported a glare as she observed the countryside she was riding along. "Honestly, Grell," She started with a sigh, trying to avoid facing the individual across from her. "You're a Baroness, act like it. You need to calm down, you get too excited about everything. You have trouble minding the manners a lady should have, and you make everything more dramatic than it should be. And when you're around my nephew's butler..."

"I know." Grell's voice whispered, her frail body shuddered as she did. She looked down at her porcelain hands in shame, running her thumb over her ruby-red ring supplied on her finger. "I know. I get enraptured by that devilishly handsome butler every time I lay my eyes on him, alright?" She looked up to face her mother, who still avoided Grell's gaze. She waited impatiently for a response, but quickly became restless. She crossed her arms, covered in a silky scarlet fabric that matched the bodice of her dress, and pouted.

Madam Red let out a small laugh. "Well, I can't argue with the fact that Sebastian is rather good-looking, but you can't just fling yourself at him anytime you're around. You need to learn self control, Grell."

"I know. I'm really sorry. I'm really trying to do better about that." Grell looked away, she felt the tears welling up in her glowing green eyes. She held them back, if she didn't, Madam Red would scold her by reminding her of the fact that 'a lady doesn't cry.' Grell knew her mother was only trying to help, but in the end she alays felt like she was trying too hard. 

"And you are." Madam Red finished, taking Grell's hands in hers. She had finally turned to face the young girl, a sad smile adorned her red-stained lips. "But let's remember that you're sixteen. If you aren't betrothed soon, Grell, you may never be. I know you're working hard to get your act together, and I'm going to help you." The words phased Grell. She turned to face Madam Red, her pale face supporting a look of surprise. She readily accepted the woman's hand in hers, smiling. "After all, what else could I do for my daughter?"

Her cheeks flushed red, almost brighter than her hair. Grell smiled, laughing yet letting the tears flow. She knew that even though her mother was all for being proper and always representing herself and her family name well, Madam Red couldn't stay mad at her only daughter for long. "Thank you, mother. I couldn't ask for more." 

Madam Red's hands moved upwards to her adopted daughters face, cupping it lightly with her palms. She wiped away the teardrops on Grell's face with her thumbs. Sitting back into her seat again, she sighed and smiled. "We'll be visiting the with the Phantomhives for a week, I have some very important business to discuss with my nephew." Madam explained, a new, solemn and somber expression replacing her previously happy and carefree one. "This will be the perfect opportunity for you to improve your manners. But I want you to stay away from that butler of his. I know he means well, but he's got that aura to him that just screams trouble, and I don't want that interfering with you. Understood?"