Chapter 17 - What Has Been and What Could Be

Start from the beginning

Livia then tucked the pendant under her blouse and said quietly to Taran. "You may give the order now."

"That's it." Lauren said to herself. "Somehow with that thing, she can control the other vampires."

Suddenly Taran raised is voice. "The Gate is open, our prey awaits, tonight we feast on the blood of kings. No one is to survive."

At that point Lauren could hear the notes of some long forgotten medieval tune coming from the windows inter mixed with laughter.

Lauren felt helpless watching what was going to happen. She knew that Elthra, felt just as helpless up in the bushes. It sickened her to think about what was going to happen.

As the vampires rushed through the open gate, Livia smiled and drew her sword. She admired the blade for a moment. Then she strode confidently into the castle with Taran following close behind.

A second later Lauren heard the first scream, it was that of a small girl. More screams followed as the music suddenly halted. Lauren looked at the open gate, as she heard the sounds of confusion and combat.

Much like her ancestor only a short ways away, Lauren found herself paralyzed in horror. It was the screams that got to her. Each one feeling like a cold knife being plunged into her heart.

"Help me dadd..." A child had begun to cry out before he was abruptly cut off in mid word.

Sinking to her knees and began to sob. She put her hands over her ears, to try to block the sounds of death which tormented her very soul.

Lauren ran to where Elthra was hiding. The girl was now sobbing even more that Lauren was. She was hearing the sounds of her family being slaughtered and there was nothing she could do about it. It was the same helpless feeling that Lauren herself was feeling.

"My family!" Elthra cried out in anguish.

Lauren looked to the castle and now flames could be seen shooting out from the roof in several places. The cries and screams had stopped and were replaced by the raucous laughter of the vampires.

Lauren looked to Elthra who was sobbing uncontrollably. The princess took one last look at the now burning castle and transformed into wolf.

The wolf gave a low sad whine and ran off into the woods.

Lauren stood there as the vampires emerged. They were happy and boasting as they disappeared into the darkness. Last to leave was Livia and Taran.

Taran stood silently as Livia gazed at the burning castle with delight. "The house of Fenrir is now extinct. Let us go." A moment later they too disappeared into the darkness.

Even though the castle was burning something drew her into it. She walked through the now burning castle. Once ornate tapestries were burning furiously along with other fine items that were about. Lauren emerged into a large banquet hall. It looked like something out of an old movie. The fire hadn't reached the room yet.

It was the bodies that Lauren saw first, scattered about there were dozens of them. They had been torn apart and in some cases butchered. Lauren, a veteran of hundreds of horror movies felt a deep sick revulsion in her stomach as she walked over the bodies. Lauren was reminded of the gym scene in the movie Carrie. She thought of the scene where the prom goers in their finest being burned alive at the end of the movie. But this time it was real, and she couldn't turn off the TV.