♦️ Chapter 22 || Merry Christmas ♦️

Start from the beginning

Why is he being so nice to me?

"Jake?" I say to him.

"Yeah?" He responds.

I take a deep breath, "What happened."

He opened his mouth to speak but what I heard next was not his voice.

"Look who's up!" Dan shouts as he enters the room, "How are you going?"

I take a few breaths before saying "Fine... I think"

"Phew.." he says over exaggerating it a bit, "Its a good thing that after you fell through the ice..."

Jake interrupted him with a few coughs.

"...we got you to the... hospital so quickly" Dan continued slowly.

There was silence.

I looked back between Jake and Dan, "What's going on? I feel through the ice?!"

Beep

Beep

Beep

"Nice job Dan, she didn't know yet. She literally woke up two f**king minutes ago!" Jake shouts at Dan.

"Sorry man. How was I supposed to know? I haven't been here all day" Dan says putting his hands up and turned to put his coat on the chair.

Jake sighed and looked back at me and nodded.

"Well, that's the last time I'm going on ice" Dan says in a chirpy tone.

Beep

Beep

I took a bunch of heavy breaths "How did I get out?!"

Silenced filled the room, only the beeping of my heart rate was audible. Jake was about to open his mouth when the doctor came in.

"How is she?" the doctor asked Jake.

Jake approached the doctor, "Doing just fine."

The doctor smiled, "That's always wonderful to hear" the doctor - with her white coat, dark brown eyes, tan skin, and short dark brown hair that hugged her face - made her way over to me and said "Hello, Nicole. I am Dr. Bryant."

"Hi" I say back.

Dr. Bryant took a few moments to look through the paper and charts before saying "You're lucky Nicole. If this young man didn't get you to the hospital as soon as he did you might have had a different fate."

I raised and eyebrow in confusion and looked at Jake. What do you mean 'this young man'. Jake avoided eye contact and only stared at the doctor.

"Had you spent another second in that freezing water and if you hadn't been wearing layers upon layers of clothes you might still be in ER" Dr. Bailey continued. She took my temperature and blood pressure. With a smile she said "Jake is right. You are going to be just fine. I think its safe to say that you have had Christmas miracle, Merry Christmas Nicole."

Christmas? I had been unconscious a whole day?!

"I'd like to check a few things before I send her home and speak one more time to you Jake."

Jake nods and him and Dan leave the room.

Dr. Bryant continues to do a check up on me to see if I'm doing okay. She begins to remove the blankets and the bear hug.

"I'd like to do a follow up later this month to make sure you're doing okay. Most people in your situation have a more fatal out come.

My eyes widen in fear.