Chapter 14

CHAPTER 14

HINDI KO MAIWASANG mamula ng maalala kong muli ang sinabi ko kanina. God! It was so embarrassing! Parang gusto ko nalang lamunin ng lupa at hindi na magpakita kailan man. Simula nun ay hindi na ako makatingin kay Damon hanggang sa lumabas siya, kaya hindi ko nakita ang reaction niya. Habang si Aphrodite naman ay hindi na ako tinigilan at halos mabingi na ako sa kakatili niya. Hindi ko tuloy maiwasang mahiya sa ibang costumers na tumitingin sa amin.

"Girlfriend ka ba talaga ni Dyonisyo? Like really?! I can't believe this. Akala ko talaga tatandang binata yung pinsan kong yun." patuloy na lintaya nito.

"Y-yeah h-haha. Ahmm Aphrodite, bakit nga pala  Dyonisyo ang tawag mo sa kanya? At bakit ka niya tinatawag na planeta?" Pagiiba ko ng usapan, at sa totoo lang kanina ko pa napapansin ang pagtawag niya kay Damon ng Dyonisyo pero nahihiya akong magtanong.

"Oh that? Well the thing is, our family is Greek in origin."

"Oh I think I get where Planeta came from. If I'm not mistaken, the Roman equivalent of the Greek myth Aphrodite is Venus, which Damon got the idea to compare you to planet Venus. Am I right?"

"You're very clever. Anyways, so... Lolo Hermes Stavros and Lola Penelope are both Greek (father side). They were on a vacation back then here in the Philippines and that's when Damon's father, Tito Cronus met Tita Rhea his mom, who's a pure filipina. When they got married, tito Cronus decided to stay here because of tita Rhea, together with his sister, my Mom. That's where Mom and my Dad, who's a filipino, met while Lolo and Lola went back to Greece. Actually my Dad is tita Rhea's (Damon's mom) stepbrother. Funny right? My family is confusing.

You see, our family's names are all based on Greek mythology. Damon's full name is actually Damon Dionysius Stavros. In Greek mythology, Damon had a friend named Pythias who was accused of tenting on the life of The king Dionysius, a cruel ruler of the island Sicily, and so he was charged of execution.

Pythias asked the King Dionisius one last chance to go home and say farewell to his family but Dionysius, not wanting to be fooled, didn't agree believing that he would escape.

And so, being a good friend, Damon offered himself as a hostage saying, if Pythias wouldn't return as promised, he was to be put to death instead. Dionysius agreed to it, convinced that Pythias would never return.

Days passed and when the executioner was about to kill Damon,  Pythias arrived apologizing for taking too long to come back. King Dionysius, amazed and astonished by the friendship of both men, he pardoned Pythias and decided to set them both free..."

"Wow. So that's where the Classical  Myth of two friends came from. I know Damon and Pythias. They're two friends known in greek mythology by their deep loyalty for each other. But that's all I knew, hindi ko alam na ganun pala yung kwento nila." Comento ko.

"You know what? I think you fit to be a part of our family?" Nakangiti nitong sabi.

"Ha? P-paano mo naman nasabi yan?"

"Well, besides acknowledging something important and traditional in our family...I like you. And girl's instinct maybe?"

"Ahh. H-hahah alam mo, ngayon ko lang na-realise na weird pala yung pangalan ng pinsan mo no? Damon Dionysius. It is kinda weird because in Greek mythology, King Dionysius actually almost killed Damon. His name would have meant suicide in my opinion. Don't you think?" Pagiiba ko ng usapan at sinundan ko pa ng kaunting tawa, na unti unti unti ring tumigil ng mawala ang ngiti niya sa labi. "Ahh m-may nasabi ba akong mali?"

"Ha? A-ah no wala... Actually that wasn't his real name Paris... He changed his name when he turned 18 years old."

"Really? Pero bakit? I mean, ano ba yung dati niyang pang—" napatigil ako sa pagsasalita ng nakita ko sa salamin si Damon na pumasok at may dalang... Paper bags? Yes, paper bags and if I say paper bags, as in paper bagssssss talaga.

"Aphrodite, is she done?"

"Ah yes yes. Why? Do you have to go now? Already?"

"Yeah. We have an appointment with Ferrer. Let me see her."

"Oh then get yourself ready Dionisyo. I'm sure you'll fall for her more if you see her new look. Chan!"

"Hmmm.." My cheeks burned when he scanned me from head to toe.

"You like it?"

"Well... Nothing actually changed. I can't see the differences and improvement besides the hair color." Napaiwas ako ng tingin at bumagsak ang mga balikat ko sa comento niya. I thought so.

Hindi ko man matanggap, but I was actually expecting him to complement me, even just a little bit. But hey, I'm used to it anyway. I'm not perfect, I know that.

"Well you see Dionisyo, it's because there's really nothing to change. She is naturally beautiful. Infact, I did nothing with her, all I did was to color  and trim her hair." napansin kong humigpit ang hawak niya sa balikat ko kaya binalingan ko siya. She smiled proudly at me, but I can see the encouragement in her eyes. I returned it with a faint smile and a silent thank you before I excused myself and went out first.

~0~0~0~0~0~

ATTENTION! Konting note sa Stavros Fam:

Hermes Stavros is yung lolo ni Damon on the father side yung nasa Greece. While Gustav Gombio is yung lolo niya on the mother side, yung blackmailer xD ok?