Your Worth 3/3 - Laurie and Val

VAL POV

It has been about nine months since Laurie found out she was pregnant and in that time we won dancing with the stars and she released her book. She told the world about her little blessing about a month after we won and it was received pretty well and she has been speaking out about teen pregnancy and she took a book tour around the country and along the way she was able to inspire people not to give up when facing challenges, like having a baby at 16.

Laurie decided she wanted to keep the baby and that she wants to spend the rest of her life with HER. That's right she is having a girl. I already love my niece so much and she isn't even here yet. I want to be the best uncle ever. I am already super protective of Laurie and now I am even more protective of her daughter.

Laurie turned 17 when she was 7 months pregnant. I know her journey has just begun and I know how scared she is but she will do just fine.

--------------------------

I was sitting on my couch one August day and I heard my phone go off and I answered it.

"Hi Val, its Laurie's mom," Wanda said.

"Oh hey, is everything okay?"

"Yeah, but Laurie just went into labor and we are going to the hospital."

"I'll be there in a few minutes, love you," I said to her. Wanda is basically my second mom at this point. She is such a sweet and strong woman.

"Love you too Val," she said and I hung up the phone.

I left for the hospital and I was excited and a little nervous. What if this baby comes out looking exactly like Alex. But that wasn't the point, the point was Laurie was going to be the best mom ever. I am so proud of her.

I arrived at the hospital and found Laurie's brother Marcus in the lobby.

"Hey brother," he said greeting me the way men do.

"Hey, you excited?"

"Yeah and nervous for her, you?"

"Yeah, I just want both of those girls to be happy and healthy."

He nodded and he lead us upstairs. I bought Laurie a monkey stuffed animal for her daughter. During the tour, Laurie was nicknamed 'monkey' so I thought it would be fitting.

We walked in the room and I saw Laurie sitting in a hospital bed.

"Val!" she yelled.

"Hi little one and littler one," I said giving her a hug and touching her stomach. Her bump was even bigger than it was last time and I had seen her a week ago.

"I got this for her," I said handing her the monkey.

"Aww she loves it," Laurie said smiling.

All of a sudden, Laurie's face changed. She was obviously in pain but she hated showing it.

"You okay?" I said giving her a look that said 'tell me the truth.'

"Not really, but it is worth it. I want to meet my little girl."

I nodded and the doctor came in telling her it was time to push.

I kissed her on the top of her head and told her good luck before leaving the room for the baby to be born.

Marcus, Laurie's dad, and I waited in the waiting room.

After about 2 hours, a nurse came out and said only one visitor at a time because that was the hospital's policy. She could have 2 in the room during the delivery and only one person after the delivery. I agreed to go last because I wasn't directly related to her.

I waited about an hour before Marcus walked out and it was my turn to meet the little one.

"Hey!" she said when I opened the door. Laurie was holding her daughter and I am confident enough to say that I may have teared up a bit.

I walked closer to her.

"Say hi," Laurie said picking her hand up and making her wave at me.

"She is so beautiful Laur," I told her.

"Her name is skyler Valentina Hernandez."

"Wait, her middle name is-" I stopped for a second. Why would she honor me in her daughters name?

"Yeah, you have been the greatest help over the last few months and I thought the name was nice so I picked it."

"Thanks nugget," I said kissing her forehead.

"Do you want to hold her," she asked and I couldn't refuse.

Laurie placed Skyler in my arms and even though her eyes were closed I could see all of the things that she got from Laurie. She was so adorable.

"This is your uncle Val sweetheart," she whispered to Sky.

"Yeah, I will protect you with every ounce of my heart baby girl, just like I do to your mama."

Laurie giggled. Even though she had been through so much, she was still her. Still the bubbly, charismatic, sweet girl I had met a year ago. She was just so mix more motherly now. I will admit, I didn't know how she was going to do all of this, but seeing her with Skyler, I knew she would be just fine.