Chapter Thirty-Five

Chapter Thirty-Five

Day 370 of 2091

"Looks like we're eating shitty microwave burritos again tonight," Vik lamented with a shake of his head. He was sat with Rob out on the porch. Jerome burnt a frozen pizza and it smelled terrible, so they retreated outside.

"Why can't it be good pizza and no bullshit?" Vik asked.

"When does anything come without bullshit?" Rob answered.

"Jen doesn't come with bullshit," Vik said at once.

Rob gave him a raised eyebrow look, "That's bullshit."

Vik grinned at him, "How many exchanges do you think we can have that all end in the word bullshit?"

"You mean how many times can we say the word bullshit?"

"Yeah, that's exactly what I mean; no bullshit."

"It seems you must have an affinity for the word bullshit."

"Well if there's one curse word better than asshole, it's bullshit."

"Really? I rank asshole over bullshit," Rob said instantly.

"Assholes in general are much more satisfying to say than animal feces, true, but it's not as satisfying to call someone an asshole as it is to call them out on their shit with a solid bullshit ."

"Long sentences are not allowed in the game bullshit."

"What? Yes they are, that is utter bullshit!"

"No, it's not. Running two sentence together so that you can mask that that first one doesn't end in bullshit is bullshit."

"The game is not about sentences ending in bullshit, it's about exchanges ending in bullshit."

"So I can talk at you for twenty minutes and so long as I end it in bullshit, I'm still playing the game bullshit?"

"That's the only rule in the game of bullshit."

"There has to be more rules than that in bullshit."

Vik opened his mouth and stopped and then, as they both laughed because Vik was stumped, he jumped in again, "No, okay, I got this, because I'm not going to let you win the game bullshit."

"I think I just won bullshit."

"Bullshit!"

"You owe me, because I deliberately set you up for that bullshit."

Vik's laughter got the better of him and he collapsed on his rump on the floor, holding the back of his hand to his mouth, "This is the best game ever. I love how much we're saying bullshit."

It's safe to say, Vik and Rob played the game of "Bullshit" a lot after that.

• •

Day 410 of 2091

Preston managed to convince Jerome to go for a run with him. It didn't take much convincing, but they were supposed to go for a run at ten and now it's midday.

"Let's go, race you!" Jerome takes off down the street like he's got spiders at his feet.

Shaking his head, Preston follows at his own pace, jogging.

As Preston jogs (Jerome came back, pouting), he has to admit that it is a nice morning regardless of the bit of rain.

"How do you do this?" he comments, cheeks link from the exertion.