Chapter Six: Mark

Mark started towards the house, half relieved he wouldn't have to sit on crowded trains with lunatics around every corner any more, and half excited to finally get a full rest and officially call his journey to and end. He stared at the walls, hoping a ghost wasn't inside it, let alone going to come and kill him. He slowly opened the door and walked inside.

"Hello?" he warily asked.

Nothing but the creaks of the wood floor replied.

Mark let out a breath of relief, thankful he was alone in this abandoned building.

The house itself wasn't that bad. The train car from his first  was slightly better, but it still served the shelter function. The door opened into the main sitting room which had an antique looking TV and a sofa that looked like it was falling apart, but was still usable. There was also rocking chair, that seemed to look like it held fond memories. Across the room from the door, there was a hallway with four doors, and one door at the back leading to the outside. Mark looked around, trying to keep his stuff clean. He was shocked to see that even though this house wasn't that young, it looked as if it was still in use. Mark gently set his backpack down. A small kitchen with an old fridge and oven was linked to the sitting room. He sat down on the couch, which was surprisingly comfortable and looked around for the TV remote. When he couldn't find it, he sighed, standing up to look around some more. While walking around, he felt himself step into a rather damp area. He looked at it and tested it to see what it was. He breathed a sigh of relief when he discovered it was just water, and not something like blood. He continued, when he saw an old bedroom. Mark walked into it, cautious of what he might find. He stepped into the room. An old bed was neatly made by the corner, and a lamp was lit on the nightstand. A small envelope was sitting by the lamp. Mark picked it up, seeing it wasn't addressed to anyone. He set it in his back pocket to read later, and continued looking around. After he explored the bedroom, there was a door that was shut and marked with a shell. Seeing as how Mark knew how much people liked their privacy, he decided not to go into it. Especially considering this house was probably a few decades old. He walked back to his things and sat back down onto the couch, relieved he would no longer have to travel. He smiled, finally free from his problems and worries. He could finally start fresh, and choose how he wanted his life to go. He would find a job, live in the hidden house he rested in as he thought, and he would never have to worry about his troubles again...