CHAPTER 29: THE PASSING

“We have to get him to a hospital,” Bane proposed. “He doesn’t look too well.”

Raphael was holding his father in his arms, a very dismal expression on his face. “Why did…what did they do to my father?”

Ryan was making choking and gurgling noises, bubbles of foam trickling down his chin. His whole body was convulsing wildly. Bane could imagine the agonizing pain that he was going through.

“He…Jayden…Jayden poisoned him,” Jane covered her mouth with both hands. “Is…Is he going to die?”

“I don’t know,” Raphael shook his head wistfully.

“Let’s just take him to a hospital,” Bane said again. “He’s going to die if we don’t hurry up.”

“We don’t have much time,” Jane added.

“I…I don’t need…a hospital…” Ryan murmured between breaths. He had a hand pressed to his chest. “I…It’s too late…”

Raphael choked on a sob. “It’s not too late, father…” he said softly, caressing Ryan’s cheek lightly. “I’m going to get you to a hospital, and you’re going to be cured.” He began to stand up, but Ryan shook his head suddenly, stopping him.

“No…” he breathed. “Let me die. I want my misery to end. I don’t want…to live like this anymore.”

“No,” Raphael pressed Ryan’s head to his shoulder. “No, you can’t leave me. I just got you back,” he bit his trembling lip. “I don’t want to lose you again.”

“Raph…” Ryan whispered, reaching out a hand. He touched his son’s face, and smiled a sad but reassuring smile. “You’ll…you’ll be better off without me. I have done…many things…many unforgiveable things in my life…And I do not wish for you to do the same…”

Jane was crying now, and Bane could feel his eyes stinging with tears. This was not how it should end. This was not the way. If Ryan died, it meant that their enemies had succeeded in killing one of their kind. No, Ryan couldn’t die on us, not here, not now.

“No,” Raphael cried. “I forgive you, father. I forgive you.”

“My son…” there was a far-away look in Ryan’s glassy eyes. “I have…I have let you down…I…I’m sorry,” he continued, and coughed out blood. “I have failed you…”

“I can save you…I’ll get you to a hospital,” Raphael tried to stand up again. “You can be saved, father.”

“Raphael…” Ryan spluttered. “Don’t…it’s alright…I…I don’t need a hospital. Do me a favour…and let me die.”

Raphael could feel his father’s life slipping away in his arms. He was silent now, but spasms still racked his body. It was as if Raphael’s heart had been gripped with ice. No, he couldn’t watch his father die like this. He couldn’t die in his arms just like that.

“No, I can’t let you die,” tears ran freely down Raphael’s face. “I can’t let you die like that. I have to-”

“It’s too late, Raph,” Bane put a hand on his shoulder. “It’s too late.”

In that instant, Ryan’s whole body went into a seizure, and a mix of saliva and blood came spurting out of his mouth. The poison was already circulating thoroughly through his veins, and there was no way to stop it.

“No,” Raphael cradled his father to him. “You can’t leave me, dad…”

“I…love…you…” Ryan whispered his last words. Then his eyes turned inanimate, and his head lolled back.