CHAPTER 13: THE FORGOTTEN ONE

It was the way she looked at me that made me go weak all over. I swallowed hard, trying to think of something, just something to say.

“Jared? Are you okay?” she placed a small hand on my arm. “You look pale.”

“I’m fine,” I turned away. There was something wrong with me, I could feel it.

“Are you sure?” she asked, a worried look on her face.

“We should just…go,” I said, taking her hand. I was feeling woozy. My head hurt, and everything began to spin.

“Jared!” was the last thing I heard before I fainted, right in front of my girlfriend.

It was the day after we had broken up. The day I had told her I was sorry. The day I left her standing there at the bridge, heartbroken. I regretted it, regretted ever getting into this mess.

But what choice did I have?

I loved her more than anything else in the world. It wasn’t because she wasn’t good enough for me. I was wrong for her. I knew she loved me, and she knew I loved her.

There was something inside me, something that totally erased my feelings for her, my love for her. Was it because I was terribly sick? Was it some sort of mental problem that was affecting my brain? Why couldn’t I love her the same way I did before?

I never saw her again, never called her, and never left any messages. I just didn’t want to hurt her a second time. I didn’t want to burden her with my sickness, didn’t want her to suffer for me.

 But what I wanted the most was to forget, because remembering her would only mean more pain, more heartbreak.

###

The beast edged forward, haunches raised. Its eyes were locked on me, and I could swear I heard its stomach rumble. It opened its jaws wide, showcasing two rows of razor sharp teeth. One lunge, and I would be dead.

I stood there, rooted to the ground. What was I supposed to do?

The panther hissed, and swiped a paw at me. Its jagged claws were only inches from my face. I knew it wasn’t going to stop until it had me in its mouth, until my blood was running down its throat.

“Stop,” I tried to yell, but my voice came out a squeak. The panther studied me closely, but it did not inch forward.

It raked its paws on the ground, making evident claw marks in the soil. It was preparing to attack. I took a step back, my heart slamming so loudly against my ribs I was sure the animal could hear it.

Should I make a run for it? Could I even survive this? Could I-

 The panther pounced.

“Sh-!” I jolted awake, panting hard.

“Jared?” Raphael called from the next room. “Are you alright?”

“Yeah, I’m fine,” I kicked off the bedspreads, ran a hand through my hair. It was that dream again, that same dream I had been having since I was ten.

“Nightmare?” Raphael came running in, bare-chested.

I nodded. “It’s the exact same one, Raph. Every detail of it.”

“Where are you going?” he asked when I slipped on my anorak. “It’s two in the morning.”

“I’m going to find more of us.”