CHAPTER 16: THE WITNESSING

“What?” Seth stood up hastily. “What do you mean he fell?”

“Well, he fell about seventy floors down. Think anyone could survive that?” Jacque peered down from where he was standing. He could see Bane sprawled unmoving atop the roof of a car. Some people were already crowding around.

“You’d better think of something,” Seth began to pace around. His grip on the phone tightened. “I don’t want the police to be involved.”

“I know. I’m on it,” Jacque said, and ended the call. “Hell,” he cursed when the wail of the police sirens became audible. They were going to be here in less than ten minutes.

“What happened?”

“He fell, I saw it.”

“Who is he?”

“Is he…alive?”

“Oh, my God!”

“Bloody hell!”

“Somebody, call the police!”

Jacque could hear the growing crowd whispering among themselves. No. He had to do something. “Excuse me,” he shouldered past people towards the scene. “Pardon,” he said to a weeping old woman.

“Damn,” he stood, frozen to the spot, trying to take in what he was looking at. He knew that there was no way Bane could have survived the fall.

He was practically impaled to the car-the impact of him falling right on top had caused part of the metal to pierce through his midsection. Blood was everywhere, and it was just too horrifying to look at.

But that was when he heard it, a soft, steady beat, coming from the body. Did that mean…

Jacque cursed under his breath-the man was still alive, for God’s sake. He had survived a seventy-floor plunge. How could this be possible? Was the other species so strong nothing could kill them?

“Bane,” Jacque gave him a shake. “Wake up,” he tried again.

“What are you doing?” an elderly woman’s eyes turned wide as she glared at Jacque. “Let the police handle it.”

“What is going on…” Bane’s eyes fluttered open, trying to focus on Jacque’s face. “Where am I?”

“You fell seventy floors down, and you survived, dammit,” Jacque hissed. “Now hurry up, before the police get here.”

“I’m…I’m not dead? I thought…” he looked startled. “Oh, sh-!” he shouted when he noticed the chunk of metal sticking horrendously out of his stomach.

“He’s alive!” somebody from the crowd yelled frantically.

“It can’t be! No human could have survived the fall!”

“Let’s get you out of here,” Jacque yanked out the metal with one hand, tossed it aside. “You did not see anything,” he said to the crowd as he slung Bane’s limp arm around his shoulder, and helped the mangled man to his feet.

“Freak!”

“This can’t be happening!”

“Where the hell are the police?”

“How could he have survived?”

“It’s a miracle!”

“Get some help!”

“What the hell is happening to me?” Bane cried.

“You have yet to find out,” Jacque said, quickening his pace. “I shall explain everything to you.”