Chapter 10

May 10th

"Is that the last one?" William asks as he closes another envelope and tosses it into the small pile on the table. You may be wondering what we are doing. Well, we are making the invitations for Jax's first birthday party, which is a week from today on May 17th (Jax's actual birthday). 

"Yes William, that was the very last one." I reply, knowing he gets bored of doing the one thing for a long time, me, not so much. Last night I spent about an hour and a half designing these invitations and William and I  just spent 5 minutes putting them in envelopes so we could mail them.  

They had a picture of me and Jax on them and then I just put the information near the bottom. They were only one piece of paper instead of a regular card.

I didn't make too many of them because our invite list doesn't have too many people on it

I didn't make too many of them because our invite list doesn't have too many people on it. We only wanted our close family and friends there because we're just having it at my house. We invited most of the team because they're special to us and have helped us with Jax multiple times. Also, I invited William's parents, and siblings, but I didn't tell him because I want it to be a surprise. They had never met Jax and I, but they know about us from William's phone calls home to them. I've met his brother though, because he played in Buffalo for a little bit.

Invite List:

Alexa Parsons (mom)

Sidney Parsons (dad)

Michael Nylander

Camilla Nylander

Alex Nylander

Michelle Nylander

Daniella Nylander

Jacquline Nylander

Stephanie Nylander

Mitch Marner 

Auston Matthews

Nazem Kadri

Frederik Andersen

James Van Riemsdyk

Tyler Bozak

Morgan Rielly

Leo Komarov 

Zach Hyman

Kasperi Kapanen

Those are really the only people I want to come, because they're the only people that are close to us. The only other person I would've invited, but didn't, is Matthew. I told him about the party when we were in Calgary, but he said he was going to be busy, and wouldn't be able to come.

I had just decided to have the party at my house to avoid any fans or anything, plus I knew my house was big enough for everyone. Like I always say, I wouldn't even be close to having this house or the truck I have if it weren't for my parents. They're the reason I'm able to have a low paying job at a daycare, where I can bring Jax so he doesn't need a babysitter, but still have enough money to support us. In case you're wondering, my mom is a well known nurse here in Toronto, and my dad is the goalie coach for the Oshawa Generals. He used to work for the London Knights, but he had to live far away so he moved to the Generals so he could be close to me, Mom and Andrew. He does have to travel a lot, but it's nothing compared to London, where he was almost never home at all. They have always helped me out when money was low, and I will be forever grateful for that. 

"Kay, let's send 'em." William says, gathering the pile in his giant hands. I nod and he hands them to me so I can mail them to everyone on our list. I didn't want him to see the ones for his family, so I decided to do it myself. 

After that is done, I hear a knock on the door, and jog to get it, since William is in the kitchen.

Once I get to the door, I pull it open and see William's old Marlies teammate, Kasperi Kapanen, standing with a dreaming Jax in one arm, and the diaper bag in the other.

"Oh, hey Kappy, thanks for taking him today. I really appreciate it." I thank him sincerely.

"Oh no problem Noah, he's an angel for me."

"Wow, I wish he was that good for me! Would you like to come in?" I question and take Jax from him, being careful to not wake him up. "I know that William is preparing food in the kitchen, you can join us." 

"Yeah, thanks, I would love to!" he replies and we both walk inside. I walk to the nursery, while Kasperi goes into the kitchen, probably to help William. "There ya go baby" I say softly as I lay Jax down in his crib and put his bag on the rocking chair. I turn around to grab a toy of the floor, but Jax starts crying so I quickly turn around.

I pick him up and start rocking him in my arms, but by now his eyes are wide open, and there is no chance he's going back to sleep easily. "Mama!! He exclaims, and grabs at my shirt, with tears running over his cheeks.

"Shhhh, it's okay baby..." I say in an effort to stop his crying, but nothing was working. I had changed his diaper and tried to give him a bottle, but he just wouldn't give up. I sighed and started walking around the room, pointing at different pictures and telling Jax the story behind them. This seems to calm him down to the point where I can just rock him and sing softly to him. I sing "Dont You Worry Child" by Swedish House Mafia, bbecause that's always what I sing to him when he's cranky.

"There was a time
I used to look into my fathers eyes
In a happy home
I was a king
I had a gold throne

Those days are gone
Now the memories are on the wall
I hear the song
From the places where I was born

Up on the hill across the blue lake
Thats where I had my first heartbreak
I still remember how it all changed
My father said...

Don't you worry
Don't you worry child
See heaven's got a plan for you
Don't you worry
Don't you worry now
Yeahhhhhh"

By that point, Jax was completely asleep, and I looked at him for a minute before setting him back down in the crib.

"You may not know it, but you're doing a great job..." A voice suddenly comes from the door way of the nursery. I look in that direction and see William standing there, with a small smile on his face.

"Why thank you, kind sir." I say in a terrible accent. He laughs at me and grabs my hand as we return to the waiting Kasperi Kapanen.