39- My Childhood Memories

Start from the beginning

"I hope so, Kyan." I leaned my head into his shoulder and closed my eyes. "Maybe we should try and listen to them more often to find out."

"Do you want to play cards?"

January 2987- 2 months prior

Kyan and me were enjoying a game of ball outside in the front yard with Hobi, when mom called us from the inside. Her voice was carried outside through the small window in the kitchen, through which she observed us from time to time as we played carelessly. Hobi stopped the ball with his feet as her words finally arrived in our senses, making our heads turn to the back door of the house.

"Kids come inside, food is ready!"

The sun was already coming down to be replaced by the shining bright crescent which I loved to observe from my window sill every night these days. We walked around silently, taking our shoes and jackets off in the hallway where mom was already standing with dad. They smiled down to us, but I immediately perceived something weird in the atmosphere. I looked to Kyan, who as well detected the nervous smiles on their faces, and my precious doubts were supported by the unsure look on his face.
Kyan and me had not had one chance to catch our parents talking about the goodbye and palace thing ever again in the last month, hence every slightest suspicious was grasped by us almost immediately to hold on and find out more behind the meaning of last month's conversation.

Our dad guided us to sit in the chairs at the table located in our kitchen, while mum gathered bowls and dishes to neatly place them all over the surface. Kyan, Hobi and me sat down quietly and studied every of my parents movements, all of us trying to sense what was going on. This wasn't our usual meal in the afternoon. We had told Hobi briefly about the things we've heard and not, therefore even he understood that the suspense was unbearable at that moment.

Mom placed a big pot with steaming soup on the center of the table before she took her place besides dad, looking over to him with raised eyebrows. He shook his head with furrowed ones, enclosing the ladle in his hand and started to pour the well prepared soup into everyone's plate while mum gave each person a piece of freshly baked bread.

"Enjoy your meal, kids."  Mom's voice had never been this distant and quiet, leaving me with even more mixed feelings when I tried to enjoy the food she had made for us. Somehow I could not gulp more than only a few spoons of if down— my stomach was repelling everything as if reading my mind and only thirsting for answers of unvoiced questions.

As dad noticed, he immediately leaned his spoon against the edge of the bowl. "Honey, why aren't you eating?"

"Our appetite is gone, dad." Kyan spoke up for me as I was about to let my lips fall open. His voice laced with annoyance and riddance as he finally spoke what he wanted to say all this time. "Is there nothing you want to tell us?"

He was only eleven yet so brave that I admired him like a hero, but he was only my stupid older brother.

My eyes shifted to Hobi, who quietly sat and hid behind his big bowl of soup as if to avoid the family argument that was about to be declared and break out in the next few moments.

"Kyan, be quiet and eat your soup, I did not make this to chug it back down the sink." Mom's voice was raised even though she remained looking calm as ever.

"Darling, shouldn't we-"

"No." She was so stern that it immediately raised my attention, and by that point I was sure that something was about to implode inside of her any second. "They will find out when it's the right moment."