39- My Childhood Memories

39

»My Childhood Memories«

Small note: Amathis was born in the year 2978

February 2985- 2 years before the Palace of Hades

"I'm going to be there first!"

We ran so fast that I could feel the harsh and cold wind brushing past my face permanently. My arms were exposed to the cold as well, considering I was only wearing a thin t-shirt that barely reached to my elbows. The boys running behind me like maniacs and dogs were laughing as they heard my statement, their arms already reaching out to clasp my exposed ones and drag me back to win the race themselves.

"You wish, Am." Kyan was the one who laughed loudest of them two, his perfect row of white teeth showing as he smiled— I noticed when I turned to look behind me over my shoulder, before hastily running away.

I could feel their bodies getting closer, their heavy pants getting louder and voices cackling more presently in my ears. Despite being the youngest in our trio, I had never failed to stand and show my strength to the boys that jokingly bullied me from time to time, saying that I was weaker than them. But in what time did we live, that people assumed women or girls were not as strong as men or boys? I bet they could even be stronger if they only tried hard enough.

"You run like a girl, Amathis! You're never going to be first if you keep your attitude." Hobi screamed and yelled while running, which caused more need for oxygen as his gasps became more frequent over the course of our race.

"Really?" I turned my head around one last time to look at the struggling boys, only feet away from where I was. "If you run a little faster, you can run like a girl too Hobi."

Those were my last words before I took a sharp turn at the next corner, entering the Yan Neighbourhood in which we lived and where my parents restaurant was located. I could already see it from afar as my feet accelerated abruptly, for a while I could run faster than ever persistently, before my lungs started to signal that I had to slow down. I was short in breath as I pushed open the glass doors, on which an big OPEN sign was hung, before storming right into the main room and letting the doors fall close behind my back again.

The people who were enjoying their lunch at the small tables while crouching on the wooden flooring looked at me in disbelief, however most of them already knew my brother and me and figured what was going on the moment they recognized my face.

My mother, who was standing behind the counter while cleaning random spots, lifted her head immediately when she heard the door open and fall close in such a short matter of time. When our eyes locked and I smiled faintly up to her, she shook her head lightly while bringing down the cloth she was drying the surfaces with.

"Amathis honey, I told you not to disturb our guests like this." She looked over to the visitors with a nervous smile, before coming out from behind the counter towards me. I instinctively took a step forward and leaned against the counter while catching my breath, as she slowly kneeled down in front of me with a warm sweater in her hands.

"I told you it's cold outside and that you should wear your sweather." She brought the thick material around my shoulders, and I let my arms slip inside when I heard the bells above the door ring, signaling that we had new visitors— or more disturbers like myself.

Shortly after I had perceived the bells, the heavy pants of my trio members filled the main room, making my mom sigh for the hundredth time in a row. I chuckled inwardly as I awaited her usual scolding that was meant for only the rascals that dared to chase their friend and sister through town, only to disturb her guests at the restaurant.