Part Nine

Derek feels awkward after that, he pulls his hand away and gets back to driving, in silence, he wanted to forget that this happened, but he couldn’t it did. Once they got on the road again Stiles had even turned on the radio and put it on the jazz station that he hated so much.

 It stayed like that until it was dark and Derek needed to get out of the car, the moon was rising and he felt insanely trapped. He called Serina, told her they were about five hours out and they should be there once the moon goes down because Derek needed a run.

“Stiles you need to stay here, OK?” Derek was saying to him but Stiles was pouting at him and had his arms crossed across his chest.

“Why can’t I come?”

“You heard Serina,” he said

“But I’ll be bored!” Stiles says and flops down “When will you be back?”

“When I’m relaxed enough to drive.”

“hmp.” He says and looks away

“Stiles,” Derek snaps and he can feel his eyes shading into the dark blue.

“Fine, go, whatever.”

“I was going to regardless.” He says then grabs Stiles phone and swaps it for his.

“What are you doing?”

“If I’m not back, call Serina, she’ll tell you what to do from there.”

“But you will be back. Right?”

“Right.”

Stiles says and grabs at Derek’s phone which is in his lap “You better have candy crush, go on, go on wolfy. It’ll be cool.”

Derek hesitates “You sure?”

Stiles nods “You won’t do anything stupid?”

“Dude, no, I won’t.”

Derek sighs but gets out the car “I don’t believe you.” He pulls off his shirt “I’ll be back in a few hours, if anything crazy happens or you end up doing something stupid, call me.”

Stiles waves him away “Bye Sour wolf.”

 Derek rolls his eyes and starts heading for the trail.

Once he gets there he takes off his shoes and undoes his jeans a little bit, and starts running. The feeling of the earth under his feet and the beautiful gleam of the moon against his jeans makes Derek want to howl, but he holds back for now, and shifts into his beta form.

There isn’t a need for a destination, just a need to use so much energy that when he stops running he falls asleep instantly.

Derek can see everything, to the little bugs hanging on the trees, to the little drops of dew on the grass as he runs over it.

And yet, he didn’t see or smell the hunter, until there was an arrow in his chest and his back was hitting the cold, hard ground.

^

Stiles gets Derek to Level fifty and then he runs out of lives on Candy Crush, so then he gets subway surfers and plays that too, but get pissed when he runs into a train and puts the phone away.

Even though it’s not that late and Derek hasn’t been gone for more than two hours or so, he wants him to come back, because he’s bored and he misses his sour wolf.

So Stiles gets out of the car and locks it up behind him, stretching out his sore legs and arms and then his back and starts walking towards the foods, following Derek’s trail.