Part Eight

^

Derek should have said something when he felt Stiles fingers all over his skin.

But he didn’t, because he’s a jerk, and wants Stiles’ fingers all over his body.

^

When they sit down with their waffles in the lobby of the hotel Stiles stuffs his mouth like usual but also asks Derek a question.

“Can you tell me more about the DIA? Like the building and the paintings inside?”

Derek nods and sticks a piece of waffle in his mouth before starting. “The DIA opened in October of 1927, but the culture began to kind of take over and become a huge deal for Art for over a century. At first it was supposed to be located on Jefferson Avenue, but because of how much art was within the collection and the rate it was expanding at it was moved to a new site on Woodward Avenue in the same year. At the time it was called the “Temple of Art” and later, about the 1960s and 1970s two more wings were added on to the space. Then more renovations were created in 1999 and were completed in 2007.

“There are more than 100 different galleries inside the DIA and an auditorium with 1, 1550 seats and there’s also a 380 seat lecture hall, an art reference library, and a state of the art service laboratory.

“The collection within the DIAs walls is ranked number six in the US, and the DIA can take you through time and places within only a few hours, it’s quite beautiful to think that can happen and you can leave your troubles outside of the door, you don’t have to worry about them for a while.” Derek stops taking a breath and sipping on his glass of milk then sticking more waffle in his mouth.

“I can’t tell you much about the painting off the top of my head, sorry about that. But I can tell you about my favorite that’s inside the DIA. It’s called Nocturne in Black and Gold: The Falling Rocket by James Abbott McNeill mainly this piece was created for the Art For Art's Sake movement, this piece is supposed to be 'true' art. And it is, it takes my breath away every time I look at it. There’s also a vanishing point within the painting, like with most, is on the side (left) where the color looks like fog that you could walk into and then vanish out of the picture. I will have to show it to you when we get to the DIA. Or you can pull it up on your phone, the piece actually doesn't have a distinct location but was inspired by the Cremone Gardens, a very pleasure resort in London.

“I believe this piece is important, not only, because of its beauty but because it gives the opportunity for a double meaning, which is the actually meaning that the artist had and then your own, you can see this painting in either way you like or both, they could easily be the same.

This piece for me shows the beauty in darkness and gold, and since no one is actually there and it's just the nature, it reminds me of running away somewhere beautiful and not looking back, only looking ahead to your new future, or even just going there to relax and/or clam down. Sometimes, when I go on jogs, I pretending I’m running to London, to the resort.

Which is also what I believe the artist had intended this piece, and was inspired by a very nice resort in the city of London, an escape in black and gold. I think that it's beautiful and dark and ravishing, it's simply amazing in a way that makes me think of going out alone and dancing in the dark and being free.”

Derek finally decides to look up, Stiles is just staring at him, and then down at his phone again, then back.

“Derek…” he says slowly “One: you are totally right about this painting, even on my phone it looks totally awesome.” Stiles takes a breath before continuing “Two: That’s the most I have ever heard you say at once, and don’t get me wrong. I liked everything that came out of your mouth. Wow, Thank you Derek” and Stiles is smiling at him “I think you just wrote the first page of my paper.”