Part Four

Running with Stiles… was different, Derek thought, it wasn’t bad while Stiles was running at full speed Derek was in a steady jog next to him while Stiles panted and just tried to breathe, but he kept moving anyway, his heart pumping strong and steady, he wasn’t about to give up or anything of that sort he kept going nice and strong,

He didn’t realize that going to the DIA with Stiles would also mean all of this, Derek just wanted to save the place his mom had always loved and where he spent a lot of his childhood summer, playing with Laura and Cora and his childhood friends, when his mom was always smiling and telling Derek cool facts about the art that laid inside, the only place where Laura and Derek got a long completely. No fighting what’s so ever.

When he read all of Stiles notes speaking of how the DIA may be sold, Derek had reacted with rage mainly because, that was the one place that still reminded him of pack, and home, and family. There scent hadn’t been there in years, and he was OK with that, but the memories were always there and always fresh.

So as he ran with Stiles by his side and his heartbeat in his ear, began thinking of his new family, if he could even call them that.

Isaac, the last of pack besides his uncle, was upset with him when he left, he didn’t know when Derek would be back and be his Alpha once again, and Derek had been surprised that he didn’t decided to submit to Scott as soon as he was gone, he still felt his bond with Isaac, but decided to let Isaac make his own choice and if he would submit to Scott, Derek would try his hardest not to be upset.

Scott had become a little man, which he was glad for, glad that there had been a true alpha to take care of Beacon Hills while he was away, but he still felt responsible for Scott because, a lot of what happened to him had been his family’s fault.

Derek wasn’t even sure if he could call Peter his family anymore, he had disappeared faster than Derek had.

Then there was Stiles, of course, the last human, that wasn’t in anyway the weakest when it came to his smarts. What Stiles didn’t realize he was just as smart as Lydia but in a completely different way, Stiles was sarcastic, annoying, loud-mouthed and just plain frustrating when he wanted to be, but he was also great with research, and had a way of carrying himself with fake confidence until he had some of the real stuff, Derek had begun to watch Stiles grow into the man he was becoming and was actually proud to be a part of it, even if that meant punching the boy when he got annoying. Derek didn’t mind at all.

When Stiles finally stopped running he let himself collapse on the floor, his heartbeat was loud and strong in his ears even though it was beating dramatically with the work Stiles had just preformed.

“You’re right,” Stiles says laying his naked torso on the dirt, almost rubbing himself in it. “I will sleep good tonight.” He pants “I could sleep- right here.” And then Stiles closes his eyes.

Derek looks down at the now red faced panting boy- they had been running for over an hour when Derek finally checks his phone, and Derek hadn’t even broken a sweat. He leans up against the tree and lets the wilderness and Stiles fill his nose.

When he finally had enough he looks down at Stiles, his heartbeat is insanely slow and his breathing is totally slow. He hadn’t even realized the boy had fallen asleep.

“Stiles,” He says not even loud enough for the boy to hear him, he rolls his eyes and walks towards him. He brushes the dirt of Stiles back, then turns him back over and rubs off the dirt that was on his chest, then picks him up, under his knees and a hand on his back and starts walking back the way they come.

Stiles makes in coherent noises while he sleeps but it’s never enough to wake himself up, Derek thinks he is about to wake up, but instead just breathes in Derek’s scent and snuggles closer in his arms, his lips in a smile pressed to Derek’s chest. Warmth fills his body from where Stiles lips are on his skin all the way down to his toes.