Chapter 1

I was told as a child, the stories of legend. The ones your parents say as a night time story, those sweet endless magical stories that give you hope. However like all good stories, they have to come to an end sometime. Don’t they?

I was nineteen when we were having our, annually bon fire. It was a passed on tradition threw Werewolves. When the packs youngsters, reach an ripe age of between eighteen and twenty they elders would come out. Out of a hundred and thirty five members, twelve of us were of age. Me included. As the moon hung in all its glory, we sat around chatting about random events.

Like most teens were went to school, or were just about to finish. Live as a younger Were wasn’t anything special, we still had the same problems human teens had. It was all loud and crazy, till someone spotted a lantern coming our way. With silence settling in, like the nip in the air we waited. Six elders approached, moving in a line. The long tree that had been made into a bench, sat open for them.

One by one they sat, the first setting the lantern down. We had perfect vision, so I suspected it was more for show. Part of the reason we held this timely event, was so we could be granted our wolves. See we could hear our wolves, and feel them brewing inside ourselves. But we couldn’t shift, so when we finally reached the right age we were all but chewing our nails off.

With everyone settled, the elder who sat in the middle spoke.
    “You are all here, to receive your wolfs form. And to hear of the oldest legend known to our kind.” His voice was gruff and old like a grandfathers. The older woman who sat next to him, seemed to have laughter wrinkles around her lips. She was the best looking out of the bunch, as most were older men. The twelve teens who sat around, were a mixture of females and males. Some from low ranking wolves, all the way up to the Alpha’s son. It was also known to the teens that when you received your wolf form, you would be able to smell your mate. It was like Christmas on crack for us, not only did we get our wolves but the chance to get a mate was just as promising.

The whispers as everything grew more and more excited, about the promise of so much. The elder coughed making us hush, before going on.
    “Lets begin, well start with this side and go down the line. Say your name and rank.” I mentally frowned, nothing wrong with being the Enforces daughter, but it wasn’t anything to brag about either. The Alpha’s son went first of course.
    “Jex Alpha’s son.” Bursting with pride and arrogance. He was good looking, but nothing I drooled over. Next was a small female.
    “Missa, Pack Doctors Daughter” She was cute, and had a squeak to her voice. Sighing I stood up next.

“Fina, Enforcers Daughter” Quickly sitting back down. This went on, till we reached the last person. With a nod the elder spoke again.
    “I will begin the legend of our four fathers” With a deep breath the woods themselves, fell hushed.

    “In an age long ago, an Alpha of the king became one with his mate. She bore him a son, one with the greatest strengths known throughout the wolves. Swift on his feet, both in wolf and human form. Power to command any creature around, strength un-compared in his time. He was so powerful, the king himself feared him. Due to the man’s unruly temper, the king sent out fleets of Wolves to catch or destroy the man.”

“To no fail did the kings fleet, bring the man back dead or alive. Try as the king might, he soon gave up. Fearing that if he were to send anymore men, the beast himself would come knocking on his door. Soon word died down of the incredible man, he seemed to vanish without a trace. Some way he take refuge in the deeps of the dark forest, from this day forward we forbid anyone to enter that same forest.” The elder looked over his shoulder, towards the forest I was told never to go into.

    “If you should see a dark figure, flee from him. Unlike you or I, he can move with the silence of no other.” If this story was suppose to scare us into not, entering the woods he was doing a shitty job. Or at least I thought so. A few of the females were pushed up against, some of the males…who by the way were grinning like devils. Of course the Jex couldn’t wait to ask a question.
    “Wait a minute, if he’s been around for as long as our fore-fathers, shouldn’t he be like old and cripple by now?” Laughing as he made his stupid comment.