Chapter 39 - You Call This a Rescue?

En başından başla

"Relax," the Duros said with his gravelly voice, throwing his right hand back at his henchman. "If the kid is here, we'll find him quickly. Embo, check the escape pod bays."

"Right, Boss," the Kyuzo with a metal, wide-brimmed hat said. With his dense muscles, he slung his heavy bowcaster over his shoulder and padded off to a utility ladder that led to the next level.

"Twazzi and Fett, you're with me." The Duros led the Frenk and the Mandalorian bounty hunters through the thick smoke.

Fett's helmet filtered the smoke and toxins, but the tall Frenk with the diamond-shaped head struggled as the air thickened.

As they stumbled down the central passageway, Fett's high tenor voice rang out. "Bane, here."

They stopped in front of a supply room blastdoor.

Bane's red eyes glared as he adjusted his wide-brimmed hat. "What?"

"Someone's in there. Helmet's picking up knocking from inside. Two lifeforms." The bounty hunter in green armor nodded to the hatch.

"We don't have time to rescue anyone, Fett."

"Bane, sensors indicate they're children. I think one of them's our acquisition."

Twazzi continued to cough, trying to find clean air in a small alcove.

Cad Bane yelled toward the blastdoor. "Get back! We're gonna blast this door."

Bane and his crew stepped away from the door as he threw a thermal detonator at its center. The device blew a hole in the middle of the panels.

Before Bane could rush the door, two children climbed through the crack. The Duros grabbed the first one through, a young girl, lifting her up by his forearm. Fett grabbed the boy.

The girl grabbed onto Bane's forearm and sank her teeth into it. She kicked and squirmed against him.

Bane winced as she kicked him hard below his waist, doubling over in pain as the girl broke free of his grasp. He reached his hand out and seized her by her braids, pulling her back.

The tiny girl screamed and yelled. "Let go! My father's a senator. You'll pay for this."

The boy squirmed in Fett's grip. Luke extended his hand. Instantly, Twazzi's blaster jumped to his hand. Luke aimed at the Frenk. The boy said, "Release us, or she dies."

Bane spat on the deck, drawing his own blaster with his free hand and pointing it at the girl. "No, drop the blaster, or she dies."

The boy looked at Bane's blaster and then to the girl in Bane's clutches. He lowered his arm, allowing the blaster to drop to the deck.

"You're pretty smart, boy. Hurry, now, back to the ship." Bane led the group through the passageway while fire engulfed the far end of the flight deck. Bane hauled the girl like sack of tubers over his shoulder, limping toward his ship as the flames threatened to engulf it.

Fett followed Bane, dragging the boy behind him by his arm. Twazzi stumbled through the smoke and then collapsed in the middle of the deck. Embo hurried over to her and dragged her up the ramp as it closed. The ship launched just as fire engulfed the flight deck.

Captain Piett halted at the end of the passageway, watching the bounty hunters abscond with the children

Captain Piett halted at the end of the passageway, watching the bounty hunters abscond with the children. When he reached the flight deck, the flames forced him back as the ship sped out. Piett turned around and raced for a ladder to an escape pod, hoping one still remained.    

Did you know

Did you know . . .

● I love Cad Bane. He had to make an appearance. Wish I had a way to bring Hondo Ohnaka in, too.

 Wish I had a way to bring Hondo Ohnaka in, too

Tell me what you think . . .

● Who do you think put the hit out?

● Which of the twins was on the contract and why?