Chapter 16 - My Mother

Padmé awoke as the sun crested the hills. Her backside tingled from the hard marble bench. A heavy, black arm clutched her torso and pressed her body against her husband's armor. She gazed at the dark figure, his respirator mechanically breathing for him as he dozed.

Moving slowly as not to disturb, she extricated herself from his grasp. As she stood, Anakin revived out of his trance.

She smiled at him. "Good morning, Ani." Her face was alight, ready to take on the day.

He grumbled. "'Morning." He creaked as he stood. His robotic gears whined.

"You never were a morning person, were you?" She donned her headdress with the sun's rays bathing her face in radiant light.

Anakin moved close to his wife, grabbing her by the waist. "Oh, I was a morning person. Don't confuse not wanting to get out of bed with not being awake. I definitely looked forward to mornings with you."

She blushed at his teasing. "Well, if I am going to preserve my reputation, I had better get back to Luke, I mean Biggs. Oh, these names are so confusing, Ani."

He grabbed her hand and raised a finger to her lips. "Shh. They are necessary for now." He lifted his head. "The corridor is clear now. Head on back. I'll leave a few minutes after you, just in case anyone sees you."

"Just like old times?"

Anakin nodded his helmet. "Like old times, Angel. I must report to my master. I'll meet you here after the midday meal."

"Don't be late." Padmé's eyes twinkled.

"I am never late."

Padmé swiveled her cape and dress as she reattached her veil and headed into the villa. Anakin returned to his place of meditation and gazed out at the lake as the sun rose.

 Anakin returned to his place of meditation and gazed out at the lake as the sun rose

When Padmé returned to the suite she shared with Luke, the rooms stood empty. She looked under the beds and in the wardrobes. The refresher was vacant, too. He was gone.

Ani's going to kill me if anything happens to him. Where did he run off to, now?

Padmé quickly ran out of the room into the corridor, heading for the transit area. She encountered the affable Lieutenant Piett, seemingly just awoken himself. "Lieutenant, have you seen Lord Vader?"

The polite young man sighed. "Again, Lady Quemé? I thought you had charge of the boy. Lord Vader does not want to be disturbed. How many times do I have to tell you?"

Vader, hearing the commotion, joined the couple in the corridor. "Pa- Lady Quemé. What seems to be the trouble?"

"Lu-Lord Vader, the boy is missing. He's not in his room." Her eyes widened with fear as she imagined a variety of dangers he could be in.