Chapter 7 - Showdown

"What is he doing here?" Owen Lars stumbled down the stairs to the dining area. He pointed a strong finger at Ben Kenobi, who was dressed in a desert caftan covered with a Jedi robe. 

Kenobi's brown hair now sported flecks of gray, and his face bore wrinkles from the desert sun and the stresses of the Clone Wars. He did not move but held himself in a peaceful repose.

Beru said, "I invited him, Owen. Please, he's our only hope in getting Luke back."

"Luke's dead." Owen turned his back to his wife, looking for some water to quench his thirst and hiding the tears that welled up in his eyes.

Their visitor finally interrupted with his soothing voice. "No, he isn't. I would have felt it, Owen."

The stocky farmer pivoted to the Jedi Master and thrust his glass at the man. "Whatever you want to believe is fine, you crazy old wizard, but you will not stir up false hope in my grieving wife." He leaned on the table, threatening the man.

Beru stood up and placed a comforting hand on her husband's chest. "But what if he's right, Owen? What if Luke is still alive? I can't bear to think of him wasting away in an Imperial prison all his life. Please, Owen."

Lars lowered himself into a chair beside his wife. He placed one of his large, rough hands on hers. "Beru, this isn't good for you. You need to let Luke go. He's gone now. There's no way he survived that accident."

"I know he's alive, Owen. I've heard him calling out for me. I know he's alive." Tears fell down her face.

Owen turned on Kenobi, pointing a finger at him. "This is all your fault. I warned you when you first brought Luke to us that something like this would happen."

The Jedi Master closed his eyes, taking a deep breath. After a long moment, he looked Owen in the eyes. "I'm so sorry, Owen. I never foresaw this happening. The dark side has clouded the future for many years now. I would have prevented it had I known."

Lars settled back with a huff.

"Can you tell me what happened?" Obi-Wan asked.

"We were at the census in Mos Eisley. They were taking our retinal scans, fingerprints, and blood samples, when Luke sneaked out of the building and ran straight into an oncoming speeder." Owen's voice held no hope.

Beru whimpered as Owen recounted the scene. She took a tissue from her sleeve to blow her nose and wipe her eyes. 

With emotion sneaking into his voice, Owen said, "When we got there, we found him mangled."

"What happened next?"

Owen  glared at the Jedi. "An Imperial officer showed up and ordered a medical team. They took Luke up to the star destroyer. We haven't seen him since."

"It wasn't just any officer, Ben. It was Lord Vader." Beru's words were barely discernible through her sobs.

"Vader?" The Jedi leaned forward.

"Yes, and when he accused Owen of lying about our being Luke's parents, I had to tell him the truth. When he found out Luke was Skywalker's son, he stormed off, chasing after the boy. Oh, it's all my fault! I should have lied until I died. My poor—"

The homestead shook, sand blowing in through the open doorway and thunder rumbling through the dwelling. They all ran into the courtyard. The outline of an Imperial shuttle hovered above the homestead's outer walls, disturbing their peaceful evening.