Chapter 30 - A Royal Scare

Luke fell to the training arena floor's squishy mat with a thud. He rolled to avoid the laser bolts from the training remotes. The mat absorbed most of his impact, but he would still have a bruise on his hip where he impacted the floor.

He scanned the large arena for Leia. The training coordinator had dimmed the lights, replicating a terrorist action. The metal edges of the platforms, cubes, and climbing walls  glowed in the tall, dark room. 

This was Luke's second day on the Alderaanian Security Forces' weapons arena, and he was glad that he insisted that Leia and he work as a team and not against each other. Luke felt out with the Force as he scrambled behind a climbing cube for cover.

There she is. Up there, about six more meters. He felt rather than saw her raise her blaster at the training remote nearest him.

As she fired on that remote, Luke saw another remote behind the wall move into position to blast her.  "Leia! Watch out. Re—" 

Laser bolts hit the girl on the arm, dislodging her grip. Luke stretched out his hands, pulling in the Force as he had been taught, trying to slow her descent. 

She continued to fall. His screams joined with hers. The screams cut off when she shuddered to a stop in mid-air only inches above the arena floor.

Luke turned to the main hatch as the lights in the arena turned on. His father stood there, his hands extended toward Leia.

Anakin pulled the girl to him as she sobbed hysterically. The tall man clutched her, smoothing her head. "Shh, you're safe, Sweetie. You're safe."

Footsteps thudded down the corridor. The training coordinator burst into the room, followed by Bail and Padmé. 

"What happened?" Bail asked as Leia extricated herself from Anakin's arms and ran to her father. Bail knelt down and took the girl in his arms. 

The training coordinator shook. "I was supervising the program from the control booth. A remote got her in the arm."

Leia gasped with hyperventilation.

"Deep breaths. Deep breaths." Bail lifted the tiny princess into his arms. 

Padmé moved close to Anakin. He wrapped his arm around her shoulder.

"Daddy!" Leia sobbed.

"Shh, Leia. I need you to tell me what happened. Did Luke do something to you?"

Leia wiped the tears with the back of her sleeve and found the inner strength to calm herself. "No, Daddy. Luke tried to save me."

Bail looked at Luke, noticing that the boy was rattled as well. "Can you tell me, Luke?"

The boy glanced at the princess, not wanting to tell on her. He opened his mouth, but Leia cut him off.

"It wasn't Luke's fault. I had climbed up the back of the wall and was shooting at a remote that was targeting him. But another remote was up behind the wall and got my arm." The Princess pulled her padded sleeve up and showed the red mark the training remote had left. "I lost my grip."

Bail asked, "Where else are you hurt?" He turned her around, looking for broken bones. "How high up were you?"

"A few meters." Leia winced as her father felt her arm. "Luke's father caught me. With that Force thing."

Bail whipped his head around.  "Master Skywalker, I don't know how I can repay you. Thank you very much. Breha and I are greatly indebted to you."

Empire Day ✓जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें