(Moonlight) 1: Forks

"Come on, Cornelius, we're about to leave for the airport." My Step Dad, Phil, calls from downstairs. "Almost done." I call back, packing the last of my books for my trip to Forks. I love the rain, the cold, and everything about it. I only put up with the heat for my Mother. There's a part of me that wants to go to Forks, not only for my Mom, but for myself as well. I walk downstairs to see my Mother checking off her list to make sure she has everything. "Okay. Here are some waters in case you get thirsty on the plane ride. Your Father will meet you at the airport in the cop car. I know you love the rain, but if you ever want us to come get you, just call, ok?" asks, as we walk out the open front door, and she hugs me me, her arms around my back as do I, and we release. "I'm going to be fine. I promise." I say, and we see Phil packing the car. "Come on, I love you both. But we got a plane to catch." He says, and we walk over to it, and I open the door behind the driver's seat with my right hand, and get in, and shut it, putting my earbuds in, drowning out the world around me, and put my sunglasses on. My style is either flannels, mostly, or natural colors, which is gray. I'm actually wearing a red and black flannel right now, with a gray t-shirt underneath. We soon arrive to the Airport, as I'm going past security. "You will need to take that nose piercing off, too." The Security Guard says, as I take off my silver hook nose piercing that's in my right nostril, and walk through the sensor. "Here you go. Have a nice flight." He says, as I grab my stuff, and put my nose piercing back inside my nose. "Well. This is it honey. Got everything you need? Toothbrush? Books? Spare Cologne?" She asks. "Yes, Mom." I say, as Phil offers a fist pump with his right hand, and I give a weak one with my right. "See you later, kid." He says, as Mom kisses my cheeks, and my flight gets called. "Flight Four Eighty Seven. Four Eighty Seven." The Airline lady says. "That's me." I say, hugging them both, and head off to my flight, and hand the lady my ticket. "Welcome to your flight." She says. Personally, I'm afraid of heights, so this should be interesting. I get in my seat, all the way next to the window, and pull the curtain down. "Just breathe. It's not gonna crash. And I really hope I did not just jinx myself." I say, putting my earbuds back in.

The flight feels like forever as it finally ends, and I get off the plane to see my Dad. "There he is. Hey kiddo." He says, hugging me, as I hug back, and we release. "Come on. Let's get going." He says, helping me with my bags. We're in the car as I see the Population sign. Three thousand, one hundred, and twenty people. Plus one. My Dad's name is Charlie. He's Chief of Police. "You've gotten taller. And your Mother let you get a nose piercing?" He asks. "I think it might be a good thing for me? Just trying to figure out my own sense of style, I guess. I don't know." I say, touching it with my right hand.

We soon arrive to the old house that I miss and truly love. Home is where the heart is. I used to spend two weeks here almost every summer. It's been years. "I, uh, love the cold and the rain of this old town." I say. "That's good." He says, as we walk into the house, and head up the stairs. "Cleared some shelves off in the bathroom." He says, as I walk into my new room, and see its similar to what I have back in Phoenix. "Right, um. One Bathroom." I say, walking to the bed, and touch the black and gray bed layout. "This is a pretty good work lamp. Sales lady picked out bed stuff. You like gray right? And black? I mean, you are wearing a flannel with a gray t-shirt." He says, as I look at him. "Yeah. It's, um, cool. Thanks, Dad." I say, giving a small smile. "Ok. Well, just settle in." He says, leaving.

One of the best things about my Dad is that he doesn't hover. I may be smart in school, but I just don't want Valedictorian, it seems like I'd go insane if I did. I sit down, opening up my black Jansport bag, and pull out some books, and stand up, and walk over to my window to see Charlie, a man in a wheelchair, and two guys who look about my age, as they're all by a black truck. One of the guys has long hair, as the other one has short. "Heard you guys coming all the way down the road. Good to see you." Charlie says in the distance. I walk out of my room and down the stairs to the front door, and open it with my left hand, and walk out, closing it behind me, and walk over to them. "Corn, you remember Billy Black." Dad says, as Billy and the kids smile at me. "Yeah, of course." I say, offering a handshake with my right hand, and he shakes it with his right, and we release. "Well, I'm still dancing. I'm glad you're finally here." He says, and looks to his right at Charlie. "Charlie hasn't shut up about it since you told him you were coming." He says, and chuckles. "All right, keep exaggerating. I'll roll you into the mud." Dad says, and I give a small laugh. "After I ram you in the ankle." Billy says, going after Dad, as he scoots back, and I laugh. "You wanna go?" He asks. "Bring it." Billy says, and I look at the other guys, as they smile at me. "Hey, I'm Jacob. Billy's kid. This my friend Paul." The guy with the long hair says. "Hey." Paul says. "Hi." I say to them both, nodding. "We used to play in the sandbox as kids." Jacob says. "Right. I remember." I say, and he chuckles, and I glance over to Billy chasing Charlie around, and look back to Jacob and Paul. "Are they always like this?" I ask. "It's getting worse with old age." Paul says, as we all laugh. "Good." I say, and hear footsteps, and look at Dad, and he puts his right hand on the truck. "So, what do you think?" He asks. "What?" I ask. "Your, Welcome home, present." He says. "This?" I ask, pointing to the truck with my left index finger, and put my hand down. "Just bought it off Billy here." He says. "Yep." Billy says. "I totally rebuilt the engine." Jacob says, as I look at him. "Come on! This is. This is perfect!" I ask, walking over to the door, and accidentally hit Paul with it. "Oh, God. Sorry." I say, and open it with my right hand, and get in, closing it, and see Paul sitting next to me, and Jacob leaning his head into my window, and I look at him. "All right, uh. Listen, you gotta double pump the clutch when you shift, but besides that, you should be good." He says, and I touch the clutch with my left hand. "That's this one, right?" I ask. "Yep. Right there. Mhm." He says. "Awesome." I say, and double pump it, and the truck roars to life, and I look at Paul. "Do you guys want a ride to school or something?" I ask, as he looks at me. "Oh, we uh. We go to the school on the Reservation. The "Rez", as we like to call it." He says, and I look forward. "Right. That's too bad. It would've been nice to know one person. Well, two." I say, looking at Jacob. "Sorry." They both say, and I hear Paul get out and the door shut, and Jacob puts his head out of the window, and I put the truck in reverse, and start heading to school.