Epilogue - The Train

This is it then. This is how it starts. I could never have wondered or imagined how it would be. As I stand here with so much happiness pulsing through my soul, there is no sense of foreboding. Because I know my journey was always inevitable.

I could never have pictured it. Always so terrified of how it would end, to think about how wonderful it is that another would start. 

I do not know if I'm still at the hospital. I suspect that even if I am, the moment I am off this train, I might wake back up fully healed. If so, I have so much to do, and it will be an adventure. 

I also suspect that I am about to enter the ethereal beyond, and if so, then I am glad. Because I could never have imagined a more fitting and blessed farewell. I have faith in what is to come. And that is a much bigger adventure I will wholeheartedly take.

I'd wanted angels to be with me in my time of dying, to run their hands through my hair. But I have my friend with me now. He watches over me as he has all this time. I would much prefer this over any other way. 

As I gaze back at him, he seems almost human, but with a dash of spiritual zeal. With each second, I can finally see him in his true form, and he is beautiful.

I stand here happy for the life I lived, for all regrets to be buried. To have accomplished so much, all I wanted to do without even knowing. To have everyone cheering me into the next adventure; there is nothing more to be grateful for. And I suspect as well, that I will be meeting my family once more. That is what brings fulfillment to my overflowing soul. 

For now, I wait patiently, with the deepest moments of my life to keep me company. Back when I was nestled in the warm embrace of my mother with her gentle hands caressing my hair as I drifted to sleep. When I was among the people I loved the most. 

A soft, beautiful melody reaches my ears, and I submit myself to it entirely just as the light intensifies, warming me to my core.

I know now that I have experienced it. That which every mortal hopes to experience.

In this life or the next.

It was morning, and the nurses resumed their routines. For all the time they'd spent in the hospital wards, they could never get used to the terminal patients. Death was never easy for them. 

However, this morning was unlike any other. They were all drawn mysteriously inside. What they witnessed was something no one could have fathomed, bringing them all to tears. For once, things were different. It was impossible to understand, but they didn't try to. Instead, they marveled at the wonder of God.

Because what they saw on the bed – where the terminally ill cancer patient was supposed to be – was what everyone hopes to experience. In this life and the next.

Peace.

THE END