Door 3 - Chapter 37 - Roslin

They arrived at Sylvia and Hank's place later that night. Dr. Roslin seemed quite perturbed, for once she had shed the motherly doctor look and donned a simple dress. Harris noticed it took years off her appearance.

"Ready?" He asked, about to knock on the door. "You look a little anxious."

"I'm fine," she nodded a few too many times. "I'm just not used to being around people."

"I know the feeling. Are you sure we should've brought this wine? We're trying to go against drinking, you know."

"It's just for experimental purposes. Besides, I could use it later." She added.

"Haven't heard you joke in a little while." Harris chuckled. They exchanged a smile of assuredness before he knocked.

"Harris," Sylvia answered jovially, instantly messing his hair.

"You know the rules before entering." Hank appeared and grabbed him for his customary bone-crushing hug. "Well, come on in."

"Yeah, what's left of me," said Harris feebly.

"Wait, wait, who's your lovely companion here?"

"Oh, this is... Roslin." Harris said slowly, narrowly avoiding referring to her as 'doctor'. "She's my..."

"Uh huh?" Hank and Sylvia smiled wryly. Even Dr. Roslin waited with a look of curiosity.

"...my friend," he finished.

"Well, then, looks like we just swelled our group, didn't we?" Sylvia said cheerfully, greeting Dr. Roslin. "Come on in."

"Make yourselves at home, and we'll get some refreshments," Hank said politely.

"That's Sylvia talking. Good, keep him on a leash." Harris jabbed playfully, giving Sylvia a fist bump.

"Very funny, say that to the guy who's bringing out your food. I'll be extra imaginative with it." Hank shot back.

To their surprise, Dr. Roslin giggled. They all turned to look at her.

"Sorry, that was funny," she tried to conceal her smile.

"No one's going to throw you out for enjoying a joke, laugh all you want." Hank chortled.

"I'll tame him and bring him back." Sylvia patted Dr Roslin's shoulder and ushered her husband to the kitchen.

"Don't take it the wrong way, Hank's just a really jokey kind of guy," Harris told her.

"Oh no, I can see that, I'm really just surprised to see you being so bright."

"The somber Harris really has some novelty, right?" He asked sarcastically. Again, Dr. Roslin laughed but stifled it quickly.

"By the way, I'm sorry you had to put up that facade of friendship. I could tell it wasn't easy."

"Well, you and I-" He stopped short of completing it. It was too farfetched to claim that they were friends. "We've tried doctor-patient, let's try friends for tonight."

"All right, friend." She said with a noticeable tease in her tone.

"You're among my friends, so be prepared for a lot of banter, doctor."

"You might want to drop the title off when referring to me if you want to make this believable."

"Right... Roslin," he uttered her name. It was strangely unsettling yet had the effect of making the mood between them more comfortable.

The bell rang to put an end to the unanticipated, accustoming moment. Auden and Laarni had arrived. Harris indicated to Roslin toward her intended patient.