The Station - Chapter 61 - Time to Move On

Start from the beginning

He turned his attention to the glass ceiling. But the light was no longer there. And again, without needing to ask or be answered, he knew where it was. And he saw it perched above the compartments, hovering in midair patiently.

"It is not required of me to go with you." The voice spoke, and this time it was almost as if it were a person talking to him.

"But you will," said Harris.

"I wish to." It replied rather quietly.

"So do I."

It didn't speak further, but Harris felt a touch on his shoulder, and he acknowledged it. He'd thought this would be a very difficult moment, but it wasn't. It was remarkably easy. Perhaps it was because felt unburdened, or perhaps this was how it was supposed to be. It didn't matter. He had only the last step to take on the platform before he heard another sound behind him.

His comrades had arrived. They walked out of the room off the hall one by one. This was the first time the station had seen life other than Harris's. He didn't know how to greet them now that he had set his mind on leaving. And neither did they give anything away. He stepped on the platform.

Immediately the station erupted with applause, and Harris did a double turn. Everyone was cheering, a thunderous ovation for him. Roslin whistled loudly, Bob waved his hat with wild enthusiasm, Huey and Zafina wooed with zeal, and Jake raised his arms high above. It was an incredible sight to behold. He had never heard such a blend of love and laughter. They were all here to send him off as wildly as they could, reminding him this was a happy occasion.

And so finally Harris let himself hope for one last time. That he would find the face he wanted to see most, and he scanned the crowd to catch a glimpse. His chest was erupting with excitement; it was now or never. 

And then he saw him. He made his way through the throngs of his admirers, who dutifully, parted to let him come closer. Harris's father was there.

Harris was unsure whether to celebrate or shed a tear, but his father's hand on his cheek was enough to sustain him. A final caress from the family he had longed to reunite with. He held his father's hand in his and gave it a squeeze, certain that everything he wanted to say was said.

His father offered a kiss on his forehead before settling back into the crowd, surrounded by Jake, Roslin, Bob, Huey and Zafina, and everyone else. Harris knew he was leaving these peoplein a safe place  – wherever this was – that they would be at peace, just as the peace he felt inside himself. 

 He locked eyes with everyone, finally settling on his father. Because he was the one he wanted to see before he stepped on the platform.

At last, it was time. Time to Move on.

"I know." He whispered to himself.

He could make this moment last a lifetime. It had been with him all along. It was with every person. A moment was only as long as he wanted it to be. And so, for what felt like an eternity, he lived this moment, drinking it all in.

With a jolt, the platform below him began moving. The people – his party – were drifting away. As a final symbol of farewell, he light-heartedly offered a salute. Another more vibrant applause broke out. 

Most of his friends clutched his father, who accepted their embrace and nodded in parting to Harris. He could only offer a smile as the train started gathering speed. The smoke was escaping the chimney fast, but no mist covered the station -- it was as clear as day.

"Goodbye, Dad." He murmured. "Goodbye everyone..."

The children – Benjamin, Salem, Jake's son, and of course Huey – all broke into a run, unable to control themselves, waving at him enthusiastically, attempting to keep up with the speed of the train. 

Harris laughed, thankful that the last thing he would witness here brought another smile to his face. Eventually, the children fell back, and with a parting wave of his hand, they disappeared once the train entered the tunnel completely.

Harris let out a long sigh. There would never be another time to lament; there was only a rush coursing through him. He looked up to find the light next to him. It had respected him enough to remain silent. 

The tunnel was surprisingly not what he had expected. There was no darkness. It was luminous. And the air he breathed was cool, clean, and fresh, filling his lungs with rigor and feeling. He felt wide awake, exhilarated even.

"I'm going to like what's next, right?" He asked the light.

"Why ruin a surprise?" The voice replied lightly.

"All right. But can I ask, and this time give me a straight answer for once? Was all of this just in my head?"

"I would love to tell you. But I suspect you don't want that answered."

Harris laughed.

"You're absolutely right." 

The enormous magnificence of what was to come started to encapsulate everything around him. This time, he had no urge to close his eyes. This time, he was ready to face everything with open arms. This time, he was truly happy.