Chapter 6

It’s been a week since that encounter with Jordyn in my room. I haven’t had a goodnight’s sleep since then. Most of the nights I cry myself to sleep not knowing why. Everyone tells me how I haven’t seemed myself lately. Leigh told me I should talk to Jordyn again and maybe I’ll know what’s wrong with me. I told her that it would be best if I didn’t see her right now.

            “Okay class-“

            The bell interrupts the professor and I grab my things.

            “Make sure you all do your work!” He says as we get up to leave. I walk out of the classroom walking towards the exit to the parking lot.

            I take a deep breath and I see Jordyn. She’s with some chick I’ve never seen. My eyes widen as she makes eye contact with me. I turn the other way and cut around a corner fast. I press my back on the wall hoping she doesn’t come around the corner. I let out a deep breath of relief. I walk back around the corner heading towards the parking-lot again.

            I feel someone grab my arm by a familiar set of hands. I swallow hard and look back to see Jordyn.

            “You haven’t talked to me for a week. What’s up, Emma?” She stares in my eyes a little upset and confused at the same time.

            I press my books close to my chest and look away.

            She lets go of my arm slowly. “Say something.”

            “I’m sorry I haven’t talked to you in a week. I’ve been busy.” I say telling half of the truth. I stare in her eyes begging she’ll leave it at that.

            “Busy with what?” She raises her eyebrow.

            I sigh. “The professor has been giving us homework after homework. I’ve been working extra and I’m stressed lately.”

            “Okay. I could have helped if you asked, you know?”

            I nod my head. “I have to go.”

            “Are you going to work?”

            “Yes.” Again, I say with half of the truth. I’m going to my work, but Leigh will be there talking to me. I’m not actually working today.

            “Okay.” She gives me a quick hug and walks away. I watch her walk away. I don’t know what’s wrong with me. I walk away to the parking-lot and head towards Starbucks. I go inside to see Leigh sitting down. I walk over to her and she gives me a smile. I sit down at the table and sigh.

            “What happened?” She asks concerned.

            “I saw Jordyn, ran around a corner, and she grabbed my arm after I tried leaving. She asked me why I haven’t talked to her in a week. I told her I’ve been busy.”

            “Ouch. Not a good situation. But, you can’t blame her for being concerned.”

            “Yeah, but it felt awkward between us.” I stare at the table.

            “You shouldn’t avoid your best friend, Emma.”

            I look over at my bracelet that Jordyn gave me and I stare at it. I rub my finger-tip over it slowly. “I don’t want her to be my best friend.”

            “What? But you guys have been friends for over 2 years! Don’t do that!”

            I look up from the bracelet into Leigh’s eyes. “I want to be her girlfriend.” These unspoken words slip through my lips.