Chapter 5

Leigh: Happy Birthday. You’re 20! Start crying and be happy! Haha :)

            Mom: Happy Birthday Sweetie. See you tonight.

            Ethan: Happy Birthday to us! Love you sis!

            David: Hey little one, or not so little. Happy birthday. I hope it’s all you’ve wanted.

            Jordyn: Happy Birthday! Don’t fear two numbers. You’re still beautiful like you always been. I hope it’s everything you’ve ever wished for :).

            I open my eyes to hear someone texting me. I groan and turn over on my bed away from my phone. I was enjoying a goodnight’s sleep and everyone started texting me ever since 9 A.M. It’s now 11, and out of those 2 hours I’ve only gotten maybe 20 minutes. I sigh and look over at Hersey who’s lying down and staring at me wide awake. That’s a sign she’s ready to go outside. I smile at her.

            “Come on girl.” I say in a higher voice. She raises her ears and jumps on my bed. She stands over me and starts licking my face. I laugh and push her away gently. I pet her back slowly.

            “Do you think I’m old?” I say to her. She moves her head to the side.

            “Of course not. You don’t even know what I’m saying.” I laugh a little and get out of my bed. I stretch slowly

            I jump to the sound of someone knocking on my door. I hurry to my mirror and brush my hair fixing it. I shut my bedroom door leaving Hersey in it. I walk over to my door and look through the peep-hole. I stare at the woman holding flowers weirdly. Must have the wrong door. I open the door and smile at her.

            “Are you Emma Anderson?” She says looking at a sheet of paper.

            “Yes M’am, I am.” I look at the beautiful glass vase that holds my favorite flowers; white roses and pink lilies.

            “These are for you.” She gives a warm smile and hands the vase to me. I sniff them slowly and smile. They smell so great. But wait, who got them for me?

            “Is there a name of the sender?” I look at the woman.

            “Hmm, no, sorry M’am. But there is a special message on the card in the flowers. Also, this is for you.”

            I look down at the floor to see a teddy bear that’s holding a heart close to it’s and says “Happy Birthday” on it. Aww, it’s so cute. I smile as the woman hands it to me. I set it down inside my apartment.

            “Have a good day, and happy birthday.” She smiles big.

            “Thank you so much. Have a good day.” I smile back and she walks away. I shut my door slowly as I sniff the flowers again. I find a special place on my counter to put them. I grab the card from the flowers.

            You have to guess who sent this. I can give you a hint. I’m clumsy August 15th. Happy Birthday!

            I stare at the message on the card confused. I switch it over on the back. Then I switch it where the message is again. Who the hell sent this? I don’t know anyone that is clumsy. And what’s with the December 15? Whoever sent this knows my favorite flowers obviously, and is very sweet. I put the card down and start my day off by taking a shower.

            Every now and then I’ll walk past the flowers trying to figure out who sent them. That was a messed up hint. I can’t figure it out.