chapter twenty four

Start from the beginning

"Do you believe Shawn is truly in Miami still like the plane ticket receipts say?" Mrs. Cabello asked.

I thought about it, until my thoughts were interrupted by a scuffle outside.

"I-"

The court doors burst open with four men, all wearing identical grey and black suits. Two held back one, grabbing his arms. The other was blonde, covered in tattoos, and walking towards the judge's stand.

"Your honor," The blonde man began. "I'm so sorry to interrupt, but I have proof standing before me that Sebastian Mendes doesn't care about anybody but himself."

"Who the devil are you?" Alejandro shouted.

"Oh, sorry. My name is Kelly, but my comrades call me Machine Gun. I went to high school with Sebastian, and up until a week ago, I thought he was my friend. Then, I found out that he didn't send a kid to work for me. He sent his own brother- who, by the way, doesn't know anything."

"Shawn!" Camila exclaimed, as Kelly stepped to the side to reveal a battered and bruised Shawn, wearing an unbuttoned suit.

"Who the hell is Shawn?" He asked, confused. "Bas?"

Sebastian shifted uncomfortably, sweating profusely.

"Bas!" Shawn exclaimed. "MGK, that's my brother!"

"I know your brother too damn well, little man." Kelly shot back. "This kid came to my doorstep with tattered clothes and one hundred and fifty dollars. He said his brother sent him here for a job. I wasn't going to leave him on the streets of Miami. What's your name?"

"Ricky Baker." Shawn stated. "My name is Ricky Baker."

"He told me that's what his name is according to his brother, Bas. Only there's one problem."

Kelly pulled a piece of paper out of his shirt pocket, unfolding it for the judge to see.

"I'm Ricky Baker." Kelly smiled sadly. "I mean, that was my name growing up. I should've connected the dots sooner- Bas sent this kid for me to make him a better person. Or, so I thought. I ended up becoming a babysitter. I began to realize that Rick- I mean, Shawn- knew nothing about who he really was. We took him to the hospital and got him an MRI. His brain was damaged. We spent a lot of money trying to make him better, and he's getting there."

Kelly turned to Sebastian, looking at him straight in the eyes.

"Your parents would've wanted to know. And, I don't think Shawn was friends at first with these people, but I can tell they're here and they want to connect with him, and they care."

"Kelly?" Shawn blurted out. "A-Am I Shawn?"

Camila held back tears.

"Yes." Kelly walked up to him. "Shawn Peter Raul Mendes. And I want you to know that Miami will always be your second home. But I'm gonna make sure you go back to your parents. Don't go to see Bas again."

"I think this calls for a recess." The judge slammed his gavel, exiting the room quickly.

Shawn looked like a character out of Shameless as he slumped down on the bench- battered, bruised, and a little clueless.

"We're gonna call your parents, okay?" Kelly smiled, going outside with his men.

Sebastian quickly darted across the room to try to get to him, but Camila and I ran to block him.

"You're not talking to him." Camila crossed her arms.

"And who are you?"

"I'm Shawn's friend." Camila answered, grabbing my hand. "And she's Shawn's friend also."