Chapter 21- It's About Time

It's been way too long! I actually sat and reread this story from the beginning. It inspired me to finish this partially written chapter and even write a little more. :) I'm going to try and balance it out, finish my two current stories, and start to work on a new idea I can't seem to shake. Enjoy!!! ;)

The next day was a day game and Avery tried her hardest to avoid everyone. She sat in the corner of the dugout, reading through various social media on her iPad. Every so often, her mind would drift to the previous night's events. Dansby had actually come to her rescue. She shivered at the thought and quickly brushed it from her mind. She had other things to worry about at the moment.

"You doing okay?" Freddie spoke softly, never directly looking at her. His eyes were on the Gatorade as he filled his cup.

"Yeah," She nodded as she gave him a quick glance, "I mean, things could be a lot worse."

He nodded, "You and Dansby will work it out. It's obvious you're in love."

For the first time all day, she glanced out to the field and watched where he stood in the batter's box. Her heart fluttered slightly and she nodded, "Thanks. How are things with you and Chelsea?"

"It's only been a couple of days, but she didn't kick me out of the room. We talked," Freddie sat down beside of her, "Thank you for snapping me back to reality."

Avery smiled, "I guess you know you're truly in love when the entire world is the most screwed up you've ever seen it, yet you still find a reason to be excited at the end of the day."

He met her gaze with a nod, "You may have just figured out the secret of life."

Avery laughed, but their attention quickly turned to the field where Dansby had just hit a home run, "YES!" She jumped up and waited for him to come off the field. In a swift movement, he scooped her into his arms. There was no time wasted as his lips captured hers in a very sweet kiss. She was breathless and could hardly steady herself when he sat her down. Her radio beeped, signaling she needed to interview him as soon as the inning was over. With a smile, she watched as he gave high-fives to the team.

Dansby stopped just short of Freddie and the two exchanged a look. Tension quickly filled the dugout, but in a very surprising move, Dansby extended his hand, "Teammates?"

Freddie didn't hesitate, firmly shaking Dansby's hand, "Teammates!"

Avery moved to stand beside Freddie, her attention on Dansby, "Can I get an interview?"

"Uh- no. I'm too busy wanting to kiss my girlfriend right now," He leaned towards her, pressing his lips to her cheek.

She giggled, "Dans, this is serious."

"Mhmm, sure," He moved to her side and allowed his gaze burn into her.

She heard them counting down in her ear and instantly smiled as the interview began, "I'm here with Dansby Swanson, who just turned this game upside down with his three-run homer in the top of the ninth! The Nationals are always tough to beat, but this series has been pretty even for you guys. What's changed and really lit a fire under you?"

"I don't know Avery, honestly. I just get out there and give it my all," Avery started to speak, but he stopped her, "You know what, wait a second, I lied," He looked right into the camera and grinned the widest grin she'd ever seen, "I do know what lit a fire under me. I wanted to impress my girl," He moved his eyes back to her, "My girl that I'm in love with. I did it for you. You make me a better person, which in turn makes me a better player. I've always given it my all, but that isn't enough anymore. I strive to be better every day because of you. I'm in love with you. I love you, Avery Dawson."