Chapter 17- You Obviously Didn't Hear Everything

"Please tell me Avery is in here? I know she said to leave her alone, but I... I've done that one too many times-" He peeked around her, focused on one thing only. He probably wouldn't take no for an answer.

Moving aside, Presley gave him a smile and allowed him in the room. It was going to be very difficult for her best friend, and Presley worried about what kind of shock this would do to both their careers, as well as the team relationships. She wouldn't confuse Avery with that, though, because if that's what she wanted, she should go for it. And she'd support her.

"Freddie..." Avery stood, turning her back to him, "I told you I needed time."

"You've had time-" He moved to stand just behind her. His hands slowly moved down her arms, gently sliding his fingers onto hers, lacing them together. She didn't move, so he took that as a positive sign, "Give us a chance, that's all I'm asking. I know the risk, but it's worth the reward to me."

Presley took a deep breath and stepped out the door. She couldn't believe what she was hearing. It sure sounded like Freddie did indeed love her.

Avery leaned back against him and sighed. His body was so close to hers and it truly did something, "I don't want to hurt anyone. Please understand how hard this is for me. Please understand that I spent so many nights dreaming about this moment. And please, please understand I have a lot of feelings for you, buried deep, that I never thought I'd have to deal with. So, this is very unexpected."

He pulled her closer, resting his head on the back of hers, "I'm patient."

"That's why you're in Presley's room, right? Instead of waiting like I ask." She mused softly, slowly turning in his arms. She moved his hands to rest on her waist and held his stare. God, this whole day was so intense, she wasn't sure she could handle any more of it.

Even though she'd met his gaze, she was still not completely focused. Leaning forward, he pressed his lips to hers, and when she gasp from shock, he took the opportunity to deepen the kiss. He held onto her tighter, in fear she'd immediately try to escape.

Much to his surprise, she didn't move. She gave him full control and allowed him to lead the moment. And while she'd allowed Dansby control in aspects of their relationship, it wasn't like the kiss. It reminded her of the darkest moment of her life, and the best, where he had been there and pulled her through- despite everything. She moaned into the kiss and was careful not to disrupt it by bringing her arms up to wrap around his neck.

Freddie didn't care at this point if Presley was still in the room, he wouldn't stop kissing her until she made him do so.

Avery wasn't sure what kind of emotions were rushing over her. She gasped softly, as she breathlessly pulled away from his kiss. The feel of the cool metal of his wedding band snapping her back to reality, as it rested against her cheek. Moving her hand up, she traced her finger around it and met his gaze. She didn't speak, he knew her well enough to know what she was thinking.

"I want to be here. I want to be with you. I know it's wrong, but I can't say I'm sorry." He held her gaze, his fingers lightly moving over her jaw.

Avery nodded, giving him a small smile. She cared for him, and it made her heart hurt. But the last kiss she'd gotten before hand was from Dansby, and no one had ever kissed her like that. The kiss from Freddie had done one thing, though, it had shown her exactly how she felt, "I care about you, a lot," She smiled, tracing her fingers along the scruff that outlined his jaw.

"But?" He felt his heart sink. It was written on her face, exactly what she wanted. Freddie wasn't sure he was ready to hear her say it.