Chapter 3- Challenge Accepted

"Hey guys," Dansby smiled, moving to grab his uniform, "Good practice!"

A few of them stared at him, waiting for his next words. He didn't say anything else, so Ender spoke up, "Hey man, where did you get to?"

"Huh? Oh- I was just welcoming the new reporter."

"Uh huh. I see."

"What's that supposed to mean?" His grin faded as he stared to each of his teammates, "Well?"

"You don't know who she is, do you?" Jace spoke up.

"Avery." He stated, wondering how he was supposed to know her, "She just got here, how could I know more?"

"She's been around for a while, just not here... with another team." Freddie piped in.

Dansby was confused, and it showed, "Okay? So I can't talk to her because she used to report for another team? Big deal.. she seems pretty content here."

"You don't understand what we're saying, Swanson," Matt stared at the kid, feeling bad, "She still has ties there..."

"Still not seeing a problem..." His eyes moved to Freddie, where he knew he could get the most honest answer.

"Dansby, Avery is... dating someone. Someone you probably don't want to mess with." Freddie knew how horrible it could be for Avery at times, but he would never tell anyone that.

Dansby shrugged, "Oh come on, you guys act as if she's dating Bryce Harper...." His laugh tapered off, when everyone glanced around the room in opposite directions, avoiding his gaze, "Well then. She's... dating Bryce Harper."

"That sounded like a challenge. Don't mess with it, Swanson. I'm telling you--" Freddie warned his friend. He knew of the trouble it would cause. Bryce was controlling, and it wouldn't bode well for Avery.

"I wouldn't, Freeman. I get it." Dansby shrugged but honestly didn't take anything he said to heart. If she was so happy with Mr. Harper, then why did she seem smitten to be in Atlanta? When he moved away from his ex, he was distraught for the longest time. Eventually, he got over her breaking up with him, but at first, it was nothing but heartache. If she cared for her relationship, she would surely be more broken up. Besides, it wasn't like he seriously intended to wreck someone's relationship. His teammates should know him better than that.

♥♥♥

Avery made her way up to the broadcast booth, where she would spend a few innings talking about her new position with the team, along with her past accomplishments. She wasn't looking forward to talking about herself, but she couldn't wait to gush on this team. They had improved so much since the previous year, and she could tell from batting practice, they had exactly what it took to win.